Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Software and Operating Systems
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-26-2009, 09:55 PM   #1
Beta Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1
Default RAM question Please Help!

Hello,
My computer has 2 ram modules:
a 512MV
and a 1GB
Totaling 1.5 GB of RAM (Physical Memory)

I checked on the system inforemation tool and it shows the following:

Installed Physical Memory (RAM: 1.50 GB
Total Physical Memory: 1.25 GB

Does this mean my computer is only using 1.25 GB of ram?
Also on task manager is says

Physical Memory (MB)
Total 1277

I am using Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit version

how do I get windows to use all the avaibable ram?
Why is windows only using 1.23 GB of ram when there is 1.50 GB installed.

Thanks
~Fertogo

Soon I will change my 512 MB ram module to a 2GB so I want widows to take advantage of all the ram I have
Please Help me
__________________

Fertogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 08:15 AM   #2
Fully Optimized
 
jmacavali's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 4,867
Default Re: RAM question Please Help!

What it probably means is that your video is using some of the RAM. Unless you have a seperate video card, the onboard video shares the RAM with the computer.
__________________

__________________
****************************************
Don't take life too seriously -- no one gets out alive. Plus, who wants to arrive to the hereafter in pristine condition wearing a suit and tie?
I want to slide in sideways, worn out, used up, hair a mess, clothes tattered, & screaming, "Whooo! What a ride!"
****************************************
jmacavali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 08:14 PM   #3
Beta Member
 
EndProductUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2
Default Re: RAM question Please Help!

Your video card is using 0.25 GB of RAM. There is no way to reverse that (at least, none that involve having a video card). If you want more RAM, use Windows Readyboost.

Remember two things though:

-Vista NEEDS 2 GB of RAM to run smoothly

-Vista can handle no more than a grand total of 4 GB of RAM (including the RAM being used for the video card).
EndProductUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 01:17 PM   #4
Baseband Member
 
BooDog47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 25
Send a message via Yahoo to BooDog47
Default Re: RAM question Please Help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndProductUser View Post
Your video card is using 0.25 GB of RAM. There is no way to reverse that (at least, none that involve having a video card). If you want more RAM, use Windows Readyboost.

Remember two things though:

-Vista NEEDS 2 GB of RAM to run smoothly

-Vista can handle no more than a grand total of 4 GB of RAM (including the RAM being used for the video card).
That is not true. I have a friend who is running vista on a quad-core computer with 8 GB RAM. Vista can handle as much as you want it to with the right processor.
__________________
“In a world without walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates”
BooDog47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 01:34 PM   #5
Site Team
 
berry120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: England, UK
Posts: 3,425
Default Re: RAM question Please Help!

Quote:
Vista can handle no more than a grand total of 4 GB of RAM (including the RAM being used for the video card).
Quote:
That is not true. I have a friend who is running vista on a quad-core computer with 8 GB RAM. Vista can handle as much as you want it to with the right processor.
Partially true. 64 bit vista (or anything) can use practically as much RAM as you throw at it as long as it has a 64 bit processor (which it needs to run anyway.) 32 bit address spaces however are limited to around 4GB (2^32), in practice this shows up as less in vista, usually a bit over 3GB. That's the general rule anyway.

The limit isn't to do with the fact it's a quad core or anything like that, it's all in the number of bits.
berry120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 05:59 PM   #6
Baseband Member
 
BooDog47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 25
Send a message via Yahoo to BooDog47
Default Re: RAM question Please Help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by berry120 View Post
Partially true. 64 bit vista (or anything) can use practically as much RAM as you throw at it as long as it has a 64 bit processor (which it needs to run anyway.) 32 bit address spaces however are limited to around 4GB (2^32), in practice this shows up as less in vista, usually a bit over 3GB. That's the general rule anyway.

The limit isn't to do with the fact it's a quad core or anything like that, it's all in the number of bits.
This much is true. But you must remember that Vista's kernel is a resource hog, most other OS's will be able to hold any amount of RAM if they have a fast enough processor.
__________________
“In a world without walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates”
BooDog47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 06:45 PM   #7
Site Team
 
berry120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: England, UK
Posts: 3,425
Default Re: RAM question Please Help!

Quote:
This much is true. But you must remember that Vista's kernel is a resource hog, most other OS's will be able to hold any amount of RAM if they have a fast enough processor.
Agree that Vista is a resource hog. Disagree that the speed of the processor has any effect on the amount of RAM that you can use!
__________________

berry120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0