Quick Help

jogjr11

Beta member
I am working on a computer for a friend. it is a windows vista home premium (unsure if x32 or x64). I have an OEMACT code on the sticker in the back. Her hard drive died (clicking) and I can't clone any part of it (os or recovery) due to two bad sectors. I am in need of an option to install the operating system onto a new hard drive that I have. She is leaving the state in 36 hours so it is cutting it close. Where can I get a disk or make one from online? Is there a special one I need since it is an OEMACT key?

Also it is a Sony VAIO PCG-7173L.

No you can purchase another copy of Vista Home Premium another copy of premium with a new product key or any other version of Windows providing you have a licence key. Please note that we cannot give you any links to illegal downloads including torrents.

I wouldn't want a torrent or illegal service. I didn't know if there was any free legal way. So the only way is to spend a lot of money and buy a disk?

Getting a new copy of Windows Vista or I'd get 7 which is better is the best and quickest way to go so yep it's the only way to get it fixed unless it's under warranty you can send it back to be fixed.

I downloaded a Win7 ISO image from Microsoft and used the key that came with a laptop. The recovery got screwed up and no disk was provided with it so I resorted to that. It's completely legal.

I found links from MS for Win7 but couldn't for Vista. Try searching MS maybe you will have better luck, or contact them or the distributor of your friend's PC and tell them you have the key and that you need a soft copy of the OS. Also consult them if it OK to download an untouched unhacked copy from other sources.

Most likely you will get it as ISO image that you will have to burn it on a disk to use it for fresh installation. To upgrade or dual boot you can just mount it using disk emulation software.

All you need to know is the version of Windows, its bandwidth and the key.

You know 2 out of 3. Look here and there for the bandwidth. There must be a trail somewhere.

By its bandwidth I mean 32-bit or 64-bit.

In worst cases, if Vista's support is different than 7, you can know that at the activation step. Windows will simply reject the key. Again, make sure of the version of Windows and its bandwidth.

You can use any install method from any cd provided you have a legal key. Since the laptop has a key on it, you can install the exact same version of windows and use the key provided. You might have to call the 800 number to activate it, but it's automated and shouldn't give you any trouble. This is how we reloaded computers while I worked at a repair shop.

It's not illegal to download an ISO of Windows, it's illegal to activate it without a legit/legal key. --or at least that's my understanding of how it works as I'm certainly no lawyer--

Last edited:
Afaik, penalty takes place once the download started, if the source is flagged illegal, not according to the material. I could be wrong.

I mean online piracy not just piracy. Activation alone can be done from other sources than online.

I downloaded my softcopy from MS directly. Links were available for Win7, but not for Vista as my search returned. My legit key was used without needing to activate online. Updates work just fine.

OP: you can also borrow an identical version of windows from anyone, but make sure you do not use their key.

Digital River provides legal Windows downloads. You need your own key. There's a list on this yahoo answer of the download locations.

Microsoft also supports this download avenue so it is completely legal.

Digital River provides legal Windows downloads. You need your own key. There's a list on this yahoo answer of the download locations. Microsoft also supports this download avenue so it is completely legal.
Isn't the downloads though Digital River done by someone from MSDN or Technet

Back
Top Bottom