Question regarding SSD boot and HDD Data

Mike Anthony

Solid State Member
Hello there, sorry if this is in the wrong forum. Not sure if Software or Hardware would be correct.

I just built a new computer (first one). I have a 60G SSD that I loaded Windows 7 on for booting only. And I have a 1.5T HDD that I had planned to use for all programs/data etc. But, being the newb that I am, I didn't realize that it isn't that simple. I cannot figure out how to have the SSD only boot windows and have everything else save to the HDD. Is it possible? I searched Google and could not find what I thought to be a solid way of doing this. If anyone has any suggestions for me please let me know!

Thank you!

Pretty much all software will default to being installed on the C: drive but usually give you the opportunity to change the install location. You may need to select "Custom" install. There will still be some files installed to the windows folder on your ssd.

As far as data, when you go to save a file, change the location to your hdd. Many programs have options or preferences where you can set the default save location, just make the default somewhere on your hdd.

Alright, I'll try that in the future. I found some articles about switching your Users folder and Program Files over to the secondary drive and changing default locations in the registry and whatnot. Might give that a try too. The SSD is super fast but I'm starting to think it would have been a lot easier to just use one drive.

There is a way to have windows "move" the location of the my documents and all the other "my" folders so it becomes defaulted to anoter location (including drive). Off the top of my head I don't recall how to get at it in 7. When i get to my laptop tomorrow I'll let you know.

That's what I was already planning to do, although I figured I'd ask around and see if anyone knew of a simple way of doing it. But I do not believe there is.

If you find anything tomorrow, Celegorm, please share!

Thanks for the info guys

Ok I think I found the easiest way to explain this.

Open up an explorer window so you have a list of the libraries along the side (docs, music pictures etc). Expand these by clicking the arrow that appears to the left of the libraries so you can see all the folders that make up the libraries. On all of the folders that you wish to move to the second drive, right click them and click properties. On the window that comes up you should see a "location" tab. click on this, and then click move. It will then have you pick a new location and ask if you wish to have all your current documents moved to that new location as well or left in the original.

Sorry if that's not the greatest explanation I can try again if that isn't clear.

Awesome, I will give that a try! Thank you very much.

EDIT: Just tried it. I don't have a "locations" tab, but there is a locations list. But there is no way to set that location to be on the other hard drive. :( Unless I am missing something here.

I think you right-clicked on the wrong thing so I'll try this again with some pictures as I think it'll help me just as much as you.

The first screen shot is from my laptop's "my computer" screen. I've expanded the Music library for this. While the names are mostly obscured, you'll see I have three folders in that Library: My Music (might just be Music for you), Public Music, and another one called Music that's part of a network drive. You will likely only have the first two.

Right click just the Music folder. Minus all the excess crap I have installed you should see a menu that contains the text "Remove location from library". Don't click that, I"m just using it as a reference so if you see it you've right-clicked on the correct folder. You will want to click on properties here.

step.png

Then you should get the properties menu that I described in my previous post. It'll looks similar to this:
props.JPG

You are totally right! I got it! That's awesome, thank you.

Now, how about the Program Files and Program Files(86)? I want to save all programs I can to the HDD instead of the SSD. Will that create problems with the operation of the programs?

Back
Top Bottom