Question about System Mechanic and CCleaner

LouBrandt

Solid State Member
Hello,

When I set up my new Dell Windows 7 desktop, the Dell rep on the phone suggested that I buy "System Mechanic" to aid in keeping the computer running at its best. I did make the purchase and have it running.

Later, a friend suggested that I install CCleaner to keep unnecessary files deleted, etc. CCleaner seems to be a well-respected software product.

My question is, would you expect any problems if I have both System Mechanic and CCleaner running, or are they redundant, or would they interfere with each other?

Thanks,
Louis

I've never heard of or used System Mechanic.
I use and recommend CCleaner.

I don't think your going to have any problems running both, especially since CCleaner isn't "running" at all times and has to be started manually. My guess is that they are probably redundant and that the Dell rep gets a bonus if he sells you System Mechanic.

You have to also run an anti-virus (AVG, Microsoft Security Essentials, etc) and it wouldn't hurt to have a Spy/Mal-ware clearner as well (MalwareBytes AntiMalware).

Thanks, I have installed Malwarebytes, and I intend to install either Microsoft Security Essentials or Avast (someone recommended Avast to me).

Louis

Avast is good also. Keep in mind that only the Anti-virus is "running" and everything else will require a manual scan (or a scheduled scan can be setup). Also double check that whichever anti-virus you go with has a "live" scan feature that scans the files as you download or access them (pretty sure MSE does but not sure about Avast).

Avast is good also. Keep in mind that only the Anti-virus is "running" and everything else will require a manual scan (or a scheduled scan can be setup). Also double check that whichever anti-virus you go with has a "live" scan feature that scans the files as you download or access them (pretty sure MSE does but not sure about Avast).

Yes, I understand that the anti-virus is "running" in the background, and I have just added "Malwarebytes" to the computer, and it is my understanding that "Malwarebytes" is also "running" in the background. I do understand that other software such as CCleaner will have to be manually run or scheduled to run.

Am I correct in all of this?

Thanks again,
Louis

I don't think Malwarebytes runs in the background unless they've changed something in a new update. Regardless all the software will still need to have scans done manually (or scheduled).

Back
Top Bottom