Question about Microsoft Works

LouBrandt

Solid State Member
Hello,

I'm new to this forum, and I have a question that I hope someone will be able to help me with. I just bought a new Dell Windows 7 computer. Everything is fine on the computer, but my question has to do with trying to transfer some text documents from my old computer to this new one.

On my old computer, running Windows XP home (service pack 2) I created many text documents using Microsoft Works. My new computer doesn't have Microsoft Works on it, and even though it does have Microsoft Word Starter version, it cannot open the Works documents which I brought over from a DVD from the older computer. When I tried to open the documents, it asked me to tell it what to open it with, and it seemed to say that I could open it with Microsoft Works.

I see that Microsoft Works 9 is available for purchase from Microsoft for $39.95, so my questions are: Will Windows 7 Home support Microsoft Works 9 (I assume that it will), and do you think that if I bought and installed Microsoft Works 9 on the new computer, that it will successfully open and read the Works documents from my old computer?

I might also ask whether you think that there would be any problems having both Microsoft Works and Microsoft Word Starter version on the same computer.

Thanks,
Louis

Update: I found a way to do it.

Last edited:
Thanks. I found a way to do it in Windows 7 itself. The download that you pointed me to seemed to indicate that I would download the software to my old XP computer and convert the files from there, then take them to the Windows 7 computer. I'm sure that would work fine, but since I've already disconnected the XP machine, it would be more of a problem than the way that I found to do it directly on the Windows 7 computer.
Thanks,
Louis

No you don't do it on the XP machine. It's an installer that allows Office to open Works files. You install it on the comptuer where you want to open the file (the computer without Works). Regardless you got it working.

Skip OpenOffice and go to LibreOffice. In my limited use, it's better.

Ok, but when I went to the site that you pointed me to, I thought that I noticed that Windows 7 was not listed among the systems that the software supported, so I assumed that I'd have to download it to the old XP machine.

Back
Top Bottom