Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Software and Operating Systems
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 09-28-2009, 02:31 AM   #1
In Runtime

Default question about google through IE?

instead of using the google toolbar is, it possible that i can just type anything where i type an address link of a website and it will automaticly go to the google of what i typed in?

like where i would type in google.com instead i type in what im going to google like "computer forums" and it will automaticly go to http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...omputer+forums

lerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 02:34 AM   #2
Baseband Member

Default Re: question about google through IE?

you should switch to Firefox 3.5. it does that

WeedCali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 02:57 AM   #3
In Runtime

i like IE, is there a way to do this?

bump

bumpers, someone has to have some insite on thie
Old 09-28-2009, 09:20 AM   #4
Fully Optimized

IE 7 -- Tools>Internet Options>On the General Tab there is a Search section>Click Settings under this section>On the lower left corner of the Settings window there is text 'Find more providers...'>Click this>In the new IE window that pops up multiple providers will be listed>Choose Google (or whichever you want)>Check 'Make my Default'>Close IE>Reopen and verify Tools>Internet Options>Search Settings>Google should be listed as default>Search from address bar.
jmacavali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 03:32 PM   #5
In Runtime

^^ there u go, but I would highly recommend using firefox, it is A LOT safer than IE.
Vista Home Premium SP1(32-bit) OS
Nvidia GeForce 8800GT
theshadowxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 04:04 PM   #6
In Runtime

my safty is not relying on a browser, its knowing what to not click and download

thx for the reply's btw
Old 09-29-2009, 04:55 PM   #7
In Runtime

im not saying u should, im just saying that even if u do mis-click something cause you think it looks real, then u could have a virus on your hands.
Vista Home Premium SP1(32-bit) OS
Nvidia GeForce 8800GT
theshadowxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 08:06 AM   #8
Fully Optimized

And you could mis-click in firefox and end up in the same boat....lol

I use firefox but only because I like it's features better.
jmacavali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 08:27 AM   #9
In Runtime

i work at a computer store and handle peoples vriuses for them, i know whats real and whats fake
Old 09-30-2009, 01:37 PM   #10
Site Team

It's not related to the problem per se, but there's a couple of rather big misconceptions floating around here...

Firstly, IE8 (you are using the latest version of IE with associated updates and patches right?) isn't a terrible browser, no I wouldn't use it, but contrary to what's been suggested here it's not something that's going to pack up on day one or let every virus under the sun through without warning. It's actually pretty secure, Microsoft have tightened themselves up a lot since the days of IE6 et al. It's people that still use antiquated browsers in general that I worry about far more...! So no, while IE isn't the choice of most people in the know nowadays, including me, it's not bad by any means, definitely not so bad that it warrants flaming of anyone who chooses to use it.

Misconception number 2 is here in plain text:
Quote:
my safty is not relying on a browser, its knowing what to not click and download
Knowing what not to click and download does play a big part in security - there's no getting away from that. What I dispute is the claim that the browser has nothing to do with it. You could be browsing around quite happily, stumble across a seemingly genuine website with some malicious code on it (or a genuine website that's been unknowingly compromised), and if that page contains code to exploit a vulnerability in the browser of your choice, it could do all sorts - perhaps even download, launch and install a virus or rootkit without you ever knowing. And before anyone claims they can spot such sites a mile off, it's really not all that obvious - ANYONE can make a seemingly genuine site, throw a few tutorials on there say, keep it looking professional then whack a few exploits on there. It doesn't take much knowledge, especially with the older and well published ones.

So yes, whether you like it or not I'm afraid your safety online does at least partly depend on what browser you're using. Though of course whatever browser you choose to use, if you're browsing carelessly then it won't help you!

berry120 is offline   Reply With Quote