[Q] Linux Booting Method

ImagineLlama

Beta member
Hi, so I'm looking into using Linux (Ubuntu), so I already have a laptop but am unsure whether I should boot from USB/CD or get an old laptop just for that purpose.

I agree with Biker, I have an old laptop running Ubuntu and I also have the USB installer because the CD/DVD drive doesn't work.

So you also don't have to worry about your Ubuntu CD getting scratched, you'll always have a good installer from your USB.

USB/CD is fine for evaluating a Linux distro in order to decide if you want to keep it but if you plan on using it permanently, I'd advise actually installing it.

I recommend USB because it's faster to read from.

I agree with Biker, I have an old laptop running Ubuntu and I also have the USB installer because the CD/DVD drive doesn't work.

So you also don't have to worry about your Ubuntu CD getting scratched, you'll always have a good installer from your USB.

USB/CD is fine for evaluating a Linux distro in order to decide if you want to keep it but if you plan on using it permanently, I'd advise actually installing it.

Then what is the chance of the files corrupting or something wrong happening when booting from usb/cd

Well, CD's can get scratched.
Just use a decent quality USB drive, and you will be fine.

If you are afraid of corrupting files, have a backup.

Back
Top Bottom