Problems with windows update on Vista

Tombo1983

Solid State Member
Has previously worked but now fails to download updates and comes up with an error code (can't rmember it off hand, sorry) that says that the Background Intelligence Transfer Service needs to be restarted. I go into the admin tools, services option to start this but this fails to start and comes up with an error for this saying (and forgive the inaccuracy as i do not have the wording to hand) something about group dependency failed. I searched on the net for this error and what it had meant and comes up with lots of discussions about print spoolers not working but i am quite confident that this is not part of the problem.

Sorry its really vague i am typing this from work and don't have the errors in front of me to be more specific but i will see if i can find out more details. If anyone has any ideas what may be the issue then it would be most appreciated. Thanks:D

from your description i can't really come up with an answer for you. Perhaps check for any virus's or spyware that perhaps could have an effect on this service that you are trying to start.
Also, is this a geniune version of Vista? cause if its not, maybe microsoft disabled the function over the 30days. Well i'm assuming its activated and everything.

Anywayz...post up a screenshot of the error, or what exactly the error is itself, and i'll have a look around at what could be your problem.

Thanks for the reply

Yeah its a genuine copy, its a dell machine and everything has been fine and updates have been installing fine and it seems without reasonits all gone pear shaped. As soon as i get home i will try and get a shot and post it. I'll keep searching for the rest of my lunchbreak to see if i can find out any more.

Thanks again.
Tom

The error received when trying to start BITS is error 1068 - the dependency service or group failed to start. I have seen a lot of threads that say to make sure a number of other services are also started and they are not. The problem lies in the fact that i do not know how to start them as there is no option to do this from the services panel.

Still vague i know i don't know if this sheds any more light on the issue.

Thanks again

Thanks for the reply

Yeah its a genuine copy, its a dell machine and everything has been fine and updates have been installing fine and it seems without reasonits all gone pear shaped. As soon as i get home i will try and get a shot and post it. I'll keep searching for the rest of my lunchbreak to see if i can find out any more.

Thanks again.
Tom

The error received when trying to start BITS is error 1068 - the dependency service or group failed to start. I have seen a lot of threads that say to make sure a number of other services are also started and they are not. The problem lies in the fact that i do not know how to start them as there is no option to do this from the services panel.

Still vague i know i don't know if this sheds any more light on the issue.

Thanks again

i will have a look around later today. i'm sure i'll find something! i've had update problems back in the past...and have always fixed them...so i am sure i'll be able to help you out as well Tom.

The windows update error is 80246008

great! this will make my research easier.

Ok i assume you've tried this based on what you've said above right?
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-us/help/5f3f02f4-69bc-47a5-9e40-8c9b86ffb2fd1033.mspx

Ok here's another solution someone in another forum posted and seemed to have solved the problem for him. I believe he typed the commands in the "Run" window and it probably gave him a successful pop up.
I've come back to this every now and again, and I finally fixed this one
last night. I pursued some avenues based on some of the other symptoms
I was experiencing, such as Search not being fully functional.

In the end, I'm not sure which of the two procedures did it, but here
they are. In an attempt to fix search, I did the following:

regsvr32 oleaut32.dll
regsvr32 jscript.dll
regsvr32 vbscript.dll
regsvr32 msxml.dll

And in an attempt to fix possible problems with security providers I
also did the following:

regsvr32 softpub.dll
regsvr32 wintrust.dll
regsvr32 initpki.dll
regsvr32 cryptdlg.dll

After a reboot, I now have BITS up and running and have successfully
used Windows Updates.

Also read through these...and try them.

Windows Update error 80246008
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...fb2fd1033.mspx

You may receive an error message that contains the "0x8DDD0018" code or the
"0x80246008" code when you try to download updates from the Microsoft
Windows Update Web site or from the Microsoft Update Web site
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910337

Error message when you search for available updates on the Windows Update
Web site or on the Microsoft Update Web site: "0x80246008"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956706

An update is available to fix a Background Intelligent Transfer Service
(BITS) crash on a Windows Vista-based computer
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940520

Ok, once you've looked at all that...let me know if you got it to work alrighty! If not, let me know, i will continue my search :)

Wow thats quite a lot to be getting on with. I've tried turning on the various services mentioned in some of the threads etc but none of them seem to start. I will go through each other option systematically though and get back to you once done. Kinda nervous on teh altering the registry bit though never done that thata before but worth a shot.Thanks again for the help

Wow thats quite a lot to be getting on with. I've tried turning on the various services mentioned in some of the threads etc but none of them seem to start. I will go through each other option systematically though and get back to you once done. Kinda nervous on teh altering the registry bit though never done that thata before but worth a shot.Thanks again for the help

no problem.

If you change anything in the registry, first write down exactly what it looks like...incase you ever need to change it back.
Also, make a system restore point before you proceed!!! that way if you mess something up for who knows what reason, you can always just reload with the restore point using F8 "Load with last good known configuration".

Good Luck, lets hope it works :D

Your an absolute star my friend its now working soundly. Turns out all i needed to do was to start the Com + Event System sevice which silly me had not done and after that everything else kicked in and now its downloading as we speak. Thanks so much.

Your an absolute star my friend its now working soundly. Turns out all i needed to do was to start the Com + Event System sevice which silly me had not done and after that everything else kicked in and now its downloading as we speak. Thanks so much.

No problem my friend. Glad i could be of good help :) (please add to my rep if you would be so kind :) )

Back
Top Bottom