Problems installing Windows7

TheCollector

Baseband Member
Hi there, I've just done another sleeper computer build and I'm having trouble installing Windows7, Windows7 will load but gets stuck on the blue and green background with just the cursor and nothing else.

I've tried other optical drives, I've also tried different RAM and I have checked the hard drive for errors. I then decided to install windows7 from a flash drive but still have the same problem where it gets stuck on the windows7 blue and green background with just the mouse cursor.

I then gave up with windows and tried Ubuntu and that installed without any problems, so I'm left scratching my head now on what the problem could be. If Linux installs without problems then surly Windows should install without problems???

Here are the specs:
Dual Core 2 @ 1.8GHz
8GB RAM
500 GB SATA HardDrive
3.5 Floppy Drive
5.25 Floppy drive
DVD Re-Writer Drive

The Windows installation disk is fine as I've tested it on another computer. I've checked the settings in the BIOS and I've also checked the CPU temperature which stays nice and cool between 19'C to 21'C at all times

Has anybody else had this problem before?

Last edited:
I used the Windows USB/DVD Boot tool I did test that too on another computer and it went to the next stage without hanging.

The part where it hangs is at the stage where a window should appear where you select the Language, Time & Currency Format, Keyboard Input Method but instead it just hangs without that window showing. I did wait for 15 minutes but alls that showed was the mouse cursor.

Try using Rufus. You could also try downloading a W10 iso. There is the possibility that the image you used is corrupted.

Try using Rufus. You could also try downloading a W10 iso. There is the possibility that the image you used is corrupted.

Cheers I'll try your suggestion, I'll also check the BIOS again to make sure I've not missed anything. I've been doing some Googling and it seems to be a common problem.

I'll post back soon

You should always try the default settings in the BIOS unless you know what you are doing or you get a specific error that you know can be fixed with some tweaking.

I managed to get it sorted I had to disable one of the floppy drives and then Windows7 installed, there were long periods when it took its time so I had my figures crossed through the installation. Its all sorted now.

It did hang again when I went to install anti virus towards the end of the installation but luckily it installed ok after I had to goto the task manager to end the process as the anti virus had stopped responding, but Microsoft Office installed without problems.

Back
Top Bottom