Problems

zer01

Solid State Member
I cannot install drivers. Whenever I try, my Windows XP Professional box hangs. I install drivers in safe mode because it freezes on Mup.sys. I used Driver Cleaner 3, and it allowed me to "install" my drivers. By install I mean not hang. However, there are no traces on my box that the drivers were ever on there.

Also, whenever I reboot, my monitor shows "No sync" or it says the refresh rate is wrong.

Try start-run-type SFC /SCANNOW. Run. you will need the xp cd. This will check all the system files for missing or corrupted files. Note space between C and /.

I am assuming you have XP and not a proprietary machine such as dell or hp that uses a restore disk.
How to do a system repair.--Boot from the xp cd and go past the recovery console to the install menu. Select repair the existing installation. You won't lose any data except the xp updates. Unless you have a slipstream sp1 cd you will have to d/l sp1 and all subsequent updates. You MUST have at least SP1 installed and the updates for security reasons. Be sure the firewall and A/V is active before going online as you will be susceptible to sasser and msblaster. If you don't want SP2 go to autopatcher.com and d/l SP1 and subsequent updates.

I have done so too. I'm not sure it's Windows's fault, as I had to format my box because I couldn't boot Windows. My hard drive failed.

Try booting to the recovery console and run chkdsk /r. Note space between the k and /.

Back
Top Bottom