Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Software and Operating Systems
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 03-30-2005, 10:34 AM   #1
Solid State Member

Default Problem with Windows XP SP2 ... Will not switch from Classic look to "XP" look...

Hey there,

Ok ... I've a major problem on my hands unfortunately.

The other night, I by accident changed my look from the standard XP look to the classic look ... Stupid? I know - Very!

However, now I've some major problems ... I cannot stick with the classic style since it refuses to work properly - It's really slow, and will constantly freeze and just won't work. Cannot do much at the same time.

Although, when I try to switch back to the XP style ... it just freezes, and I'm unable to change it back.

Does anyone know anything I could do?
How can I get my PC back to normal? - Without restoring it.

Thanks

Anjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 10:42 AM   #2
In Runtime

Default Re: Problem with Windows XP SP2 ... Will not switch from Classic look to "XP" look...

try changing it in safe mode... also usually classic operates smoother then xp mode... so its weird that its slower in your case.

daydreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 11:02 AM   #3
Solid State Member

Ok, thanks I'll try changing it in safe mode - How do I get there though?
I remember how to in Win98SE ... though have no idea in XP. Someone told me to press F8 while it is booting, however all that allowed me to do was choose which drive I want to boot from - I was unable to select safe mode.

Also do you think Classic isn't smoother because there's actually something wrong? I've updated my virus definition list and scanned for viruses and have scanned with Lavasoft AdAware. Nothing.

Thanks
Anjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 11:58 AM   #4
Fully Optimized

Default Re: Problem with Windows XP SP2 ... Will not switch from Classic look to "XP" look...

thanks Windows XP for you!
Old 03-31-2005, 04:54 AM   #5
The Candyman

Default Re: Problem with Windows XP SP2 ... Will not switch from Classic look to

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjay
Ok, thanks I'll try changing it in safe mode - How do I get there though?
I remember how to in Win98SE ... though have no idea in XP. Someone told me to press F8 while it is booting, however all that allowed me to do was choose which drive I want to boot from - I was unable to select safe mode.

Also do you think Classic isn't smoother because there's actually something wrong? I've updated my virus definition list and scanned for viruses and have scanned with Lavasoft AdAware. Nothing.

Thanks
That's odd that it's running slow for you, how much Ram do you have in your computer, cuz it will make a difference in the way XP runs.

Also to get to safe mode, when booting...Right after your computer logo diappears, keep pressing f8 on your keyboard til it brings up the start menu, from there choose safemode.
Old 03-31-2005, 12:27 PM   #6
Baseband Member

Send a message via AIM to Zderadicka Send a message via MSN to Zderadicka Send a message via Yahoo to Zderadicka

If you are running SP2, it could be that it didnt install properly. I have seen many different problems with SP2 if not fully installed for some reason or another. If changing it in safe mode doesnt work and you want to install or re-install SP2 you can use this link http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en
Zderadicka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 07:21 AM   #7
In Runtime

Send a message via AIM to crazyjoe16 Send a message via MSN to crazyjoe16 Send a message via Yahoo to crazyjoe16

argh every1 gets it wrong, its not f8! lol its delete....keep hitting the delete key at startup....but actually on older computers i think its f5...

edit: argh whats wrong with me!! had it completely backwards!! you guys were right....lol
crazyjoe16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 09:49 AM   #8
Daemon Poster

use these steps..
- go to control Panel
- select system
- Select tha advanced tab
- under performance hit the settings button.
-select the bubble for configure for best appearance
that should put it back to regular win Xp style i think.
heres a picture to help you
ACES WILD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 06:51 PM   #9
Fully Optimized

Default Re: Problem with Windows XP SP2 ... Will not switch from Classic look to

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyjoe16
argh every1 gets it wrong, its not f8! lol its delete....keep hitting the delete key at startup....but actually on older computers i think its f5...
No, it's F8 on XP, I've already used it before. On older computers you can press delete and the CMOS screen will appear.
Jesusfrk611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 06:37 PM   #10
Solid State Member

Send a message via AIM to dredz172

search the microsft web site for a hot fix, or call tech support if you still cant do it... they will make a hot fix for you !!!

dredz172 is offline   Reply With Quote