Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Software and Operating Systems
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 04-02-2018, 04:13 PM   #1
Baseband Member

Default Problem with Windows 7

I've just built another computer and installed Windows 7. Never had this problem before but when Windows 7 started up I got a notification to run Memory Diagnostic so I ran it, the computer did its thing checked the memory with no problems found.

I put in my wi-fi USB "which I've used on other computers without any problems" and connect to my wi-fi and then I goto Internet Explorer to download the Opera browser. on each web page I keep getting the annoying message "There is a problem with this websites security certificate"

So I continue on to the Opera site to download the browser it downloads the setup file when I click on it Opera fails to download the rest of the file in order to install it.

I've tried Windows Update and that fails too

I can only access MSN so it is connected to the internet and I can access google.

I've tried to trouble shoot the problems but no problems are ever found.

I then try it again by connecting the computer to the LAN and doing it again but have the same problems.

This is really starting to pee me off now

I can't get firefox either or any other web browser.

The RAM is fine

What is the problem.

Cheers

TheCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 10:29 PM   #2
Golden Master

Default Re: Problem with Windows 7

Take a look at this "There is a problem with this website's security certificate" when you try to visit a secured website in Internet Explorer

An error message like this usually means that the browser is having problems recognising the validity of the certificate that helps secure the website.

BK_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 05:20 AM   #3
Baseband Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK_123 View Post
Take a look at this "There is a problem with this website's security certificate" when you try to visit a secured website in Internet Explorer

An error message like this usually means that the browser is having problems recognising the validity of the certificate that helps secure the website.
Thanks for the link... I can't find the answer to the problem and it dosen't explain why I can't do a windows update or download another browser, I guess I'll just have to try Linux on it. Its obviously a complex problem that nobody knows the answer to... there could be underlying problems with the motherboard causing these errors.
Old 04-03-2018, 09:14 AM   #4
In Runtime

If you have access to another computer, you should be able to download an offline installer for google chrome, put it on a usb drive and install it on the computer that isn't working...
Cortb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 08:45 AM   #5
Baseband Member

I was thinking of doing that but then there was also the problem with windows update, unfortunately the motherboard has started to fail. First the on board sound went and then the computer started have a problem with the CMOS I tried a new CMOS battery but the computer no longer detected the CMOS battery, tested it with a multi meter and both batteries gave out 3 volts tested them in another computer and they both worked.

I decided to reinstall Windows but then the computer started acting strange and then it wouldn't recognize the hard drive anymore so it looks like I'm going to have to take out the motherboard and return it, I've tested all other components like the RAM Hard disk and power supply they all work fine.

I guess these sort of things happen.
Old 04-11-2018, 09:51 AM   #6
..m.0,0.m..
Site Team

They do, and I probably would've gone a different route had you not posted that last bit. RMA the MoBo and replace it then try again.

As a side note; If you're installing windows (any version beyond XP), you should wipe the drive before a reinstall. Not format through the installer because that doesn't actually format, and it just re-uses old system files. If they get corrupted, your problems will persist through a "clean" install. DBAN works great and the quick wipe will prevent Windows from finding old crap on the drive.