Problem with trying to reinstall/reformat xp

runner56

Beta member
When I try to reinstall/ reformat my hard drive with windows xp, my computer refuses to boot from my cd rom ( it is set as the first boot option ) I have also replaced my cd rom drive but the problem still exists? Can you help? :banghead:

1. Look for a "Select Boot device" button as the PC powers up (F12 on Dell PC's, button varies on others). Choose the CD drive.

2. You probably already know this, but to be sure: when it attempts to boot from the XP CD, it will say "Press any key to boot from CD" (or something like that). You only have a second or two to hit it, so be ready...Don't know how many times I've turned my head for a second, missed it, and had to reboot to try again.

1. Look for a "Select Boot device" button as the PC powers up (F12 on Dell PC's, button varies on others). Choose the CD drive.

2. You probably already know this, but to be sure: when it attempts to boot from the XP CD, it will say "Press any key to boot from CD" (or something like that). You only have a second or two to hit it, so be ready...Don't know how many times I've turned my head for a second, missed it, and had to reboot to try again.

Indeed I do that and I hit the key to boot from cd (which as I have said is the first boot option) I can hear the cdrom starting up but the initial blue screen etc does not appear...instead windows starts up. I also removed the cmos battery and went into the bios and reset but still the same problem?

If you've tried different CD Drives then the problem probably is the disk itself. Does the CD Drive read other disks? Does your Windows CD that you are trying to use work in other computers?

Actually the problem has been solved but in a most unusual way. I tried to look at what had changed and the last time I reformatted I had a different keyboard (with a round pin plug rather than a usb)...so I swapped over and hey presto the cd drive has been instantly recognized on boot up and I was able to access the xp cd...not sure why swapping keyboard should solve the problem but it has....??

I'd be interested to see if you hook the PS/2 (round plug) keyboard back up, if the problem with the CD drive returns.

Glad you got it working.

I think I've seen this before...a long time ago, and I would have never thought to recommend swapping to a PS/2 keyboard. Basically, the operating system loading while booting from the install CD doesn't recognize the USB keyboard, so it never detects that you've pressed "any key". Glad you figured it out.

Got all the Windows updates applied? I think there's about 140 to apply, and that's if your install disk already has Service Pack 3...

Back
Top Bottom