Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Software and Operating Systems
Join Computer forums Today

Old 02-20-2008, 03:11 PM   #1
Beta Member
Default Problem saving online graphics

Does anyone know why I would suddenly have a problem saving photos and graphics from the internet? It began about two weeks ago. I right click, save as, and I'm given only 2 options "Art" or ".bmp" I have tried saving with both file extensions, but neither will open the saved file from my hard drive; I get a message for "Art" "can not open [filename] because of unknown or invalid jpeg marker" and for ".bmp" "Can not open [file name] because of unknown file type.

I found some information today that suggested deleting temporary internet files and cookies. My temp interenet files empty automatically when I sign offline, but I checked the folder just the same and I deleted all the cookies and did a reboot before trying to save the files again. I still get "art" and "bmp" as my only save options.

The photo files I am trying to save to my hard drive are MY OWN photos from photo bucket and they were JPEG's when I uploaded them to the site! There are 6 photos I accidentially deleted from both the PC and my camera before burning them to a CD and I would like to have the 6 back from Photo Bucket, but I can't save them and get them to open in any of my programs. I even tried to copy the photo to paste into a word document and it didn't paste! Windows fax viewer, printshop, photoshop, will not open the files. I did manage to save the thumbnail of the photo, for those I did get the jpeg option, but the full shot is "art" and .bmp"

I should mention I also tried to save some clip art the other day which should have saved as a GIF, but it too gave me only "Art" and bmp" as file options and neither file type would open once I saved them.

Can anyone offer any help?

Dagwood56 is offline   Reply With Quote