Problem with Intel PROset Wireless driver

JAFL

Baseband Member
I could really use someone's advice on how to solve a major headache here.

I have a four year old Dell Inspiron laptop with Windows XP. The laptop has an Intel (R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG wireless card.

There seems to be a problem with the wireless driver because anytime I try to connect to the internet using the Intel software, I get a Microsoft message that says "Intel (R) PROset/Wireless framework has encountered a problem and needs to close".

So what I have been doing is going to my control panel network connections and clicking the box that says "use Windows to configure my wireless network settings". This has been working, except that it often drops my connection, and the only way I can get it to reconnect using Windows is to restart the computer. Sometimes I have to restart it several times to get the option box for Windows to appear.

I tried downloading and reinstalling the driver for Intel a few months ago, but it didn't seem to make any difference.

Has anyone had any experience with this issue?

Thanks

When did this start happening? Is there any pattern to it? It's possible that the wireless card itself is packing up, though it may still of course be windows getting in a twist. I assume you can connect to the same network from other computers without a problem?

Might be worth checking whether you can get on other networks ok or if you have the same issue.

My advice would be to backup what you need and do a full restore if you haven't already - doesn't take long so you might as well. If you still have the same problem I'd honestly just grab a USB wireless adapter, they're dead cheap these days and that should do the job.

Back
Top Bottom