Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Software and Operating Systems
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 05-03-2011, 03:24 AM   #1
Beta Member

Default Problem with clean install of xp pro, over a french version of xp home

Hi

My cousin asked me to help her with a computer problem. She has been given a note book, with french xp home os. She wants it in english.
I know that you cannot upgrade to an english version and you cannot download a MUI file because its xp home and not professional.

She has an external dvd rom drive attached by usb. I have xp professional english version and was hoping to install it for her.

I booted the notebook from the cd rom and every thing was going well, all the os files where loading, but when it came to agreeing to the license, I had to press F8 to agree, but when I pressed F8 nothing happens, but when you press ESC to disagree and reboot, that works fine. I tried three time thinking it was the usb connection, but the F8 button would not function. I pressed every button incase the french keyboard layout is different.

It is a DELL notebook is there anychance that Dell have put a block to stop someone installing another OS.

Thanks

Gormanmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 09:39 AM   #2
In Runtime

Default Re: Problem with clean install of xp pro, over a french version of xp home

Press the F-Lock key, then F8.

sahabcse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 12:29 PM   #3
Beta Member

Default Re: Problem with clean install of xp pro, over a french version of xp home

There an F-lock key? Im not to sure where that is, could you point me to it please.

Thnaks
Old 05-03-2011, 02:38 PM   #4
Beta Member

This will explain about the f lock key and hopefully point you in the right direction F-Lock - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
puppet87112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 06:07 PM   #5
Beta Member

Cheers guys. I had to press the function key FN and then F8 and it worked. Its funny how small things like that get the better of you.