Problem with clean install of xp pro, over a french version of xp home

Gormanmi

Beta member
Hi

My cousin asked me to help her with a computer problem. She has been given a note book, with french xp home os. She wants it in english.
I know that you cannot upgrade to an english version and you cannot download a MUI file because its xp home and not professional.

She has an external dvd rom drive attached by usb. I have xp professional english version and was hoping to install it for her.

I booted the notebook from the cd rom and every thing was going well, all the os files where loading, but when it came to agreeing to the license, I had to press F8 to agree, but when I pressed F8 nothing happens, but when you press ESC to disagree and reboot, that works fine. I tried three time thinking it was the usb connection, but the F8 button would not function. I pressed every button incase the french keyboard layout is different.

It is a DELL notebook is there anychance that Dell have put a block to stop someone installing another OS.

Thanks

Cheers guys. I had to press the function key FN and then F8 and it worked. Its funny how small things like that get the better of you.

Back
Top Bottom