Prevent user from installing apps windows 8.1

atomichybrid

In Runtime
Hi all,

I'm waiting to get a laptop with Windows 8.1 installed on a laptop that will have 2 users, one admin and the other a standard user. I was wondering if the standard user will have any control of installing applications or running portable applications? Will a pop up present itself and say need an Administrator password?

I have found a link that explains that I can do it through this method.
Block users from installing or running programs in Windows 8 / 7

I feel like this link is making a whole lockdown on the laptop and not the particular user. Am I correct on this?

By applications I do not mean apps that come from the Store more like a 7-zip install and the standard user cannot do anything about it. If there are ways to make sure that the user cannot install applications please let me know.

Cheers

Any installer that triggers the UAC pup up will require an admin password if the user is not logged in as admin. So most applications downloaded online will not install without that password.
If that isn't good enough i believe the fix you linked to will do the trick.

However I don't think it restricts applications that uses custom installers. But those are not that common and mostly seen on apps aimed towards nerds.

Last edited:
Thanks for the response, but the link I found, would that also restrict the admin to typing the password everytime the admin wants to install software?

Cheers

I am not sure. Don't think so. You can give it a try.
You could still just use UAC. That should be good enough. I forgot that you can increase how strict it is. On default it's on medium. Turn it up to high.

Last edited:
Thanks for the response BikerEcho, got the laptop and I just gave UAC a go and it works very well. The instructions on the link looked pretty straight forward, but I think I'll go for the simpler method the other looks like dangerous waters.

Thanks for the word of advice!

Back
Top Bottom