Possible Virus?

If you have a second HDD, then that's great. Just copy all the files you need (your music and movie files, for example) over there. If you have softwares that you would like to keep, focus on saving the licence information than actually copying the files. You will have to reinstall these softwares again, using the licence information.

I'll outline the steps with HDD0 (where everything is at right now) and HDD1 (your backup HDD):
  1. Copy files you wish you backup from HDD0 to HDD1
  2. Save licence information for the softwares you need
  3. Enter BIOS and change boot priority to your Windows installation disc
  4. Make sure you still have your Windows installation disc and it is still working
  5. Format HDD0, install a clean copy of Windows at HDD0
  6. Move files at HDD1 back to HDD0
  7. Reinstall softwares with the licence information you have

If the problems persist afterwards, it is hardware. We will see what error messages we get, and move on from there.

Ye I know the process. Just wanted to know if there's a way I can backup the files without using another HDD, and then transfer them back but I'm sure I'll find something. It's not much since I barely have any software. This PC is pretty much web browsing, music, movies. Thanks for your help I will get started tomorrow! Hopefully it's software related, I think my hardware is good.

How big are the files? I wonder if one of those cloud storage services (Dropbox or Google Drive?) might serve you well.

Good luck tomorrow!

Back
Top Bottom