Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Software and Operating Systems
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 09-26-2014, 05:13 AM   #1
Baseband Member

Default Is this possable to do while on vacation?

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong area. Is there a better area?

I am going on vacation/camping to the smoky mountains in a couple weeks. I've done a google search and there are many sites for places to go, things to do, places of interest, maps, driving instructions etc. Many of these site would be very handy using a laptop in the car while traveling. But since I wouldn't have wifi access that would be hard to do.

I know certain cell phones can be used as a router, but ours isn't capable of doing that.

What I would like to do is before we leave for vacation and hooked to the internet is to copy certain websites/with links on my laptop so we can access these sites for driving instructions, maps to certain water falls, etc while on the road. Maps show where each water fall is at with instructions how to get there.

Is this possible or is this idea dumb?

tewitt1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 05:23 AM   #2
Golden Master

Default Re: Is this possable to do while on vacation?

You could buy a 3G USB Dongle which will you to use internet on your laptop. Check your phone provide to see if they offer them..

BK_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 05:45 AM   #3
Baseband Member

BK-123.... Good idea, but from what I've heard from friends that have been down there, once you get in the mountains/valleys, cell phone service don't work very good at all. Most areas are dead spots.
tewitt1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 10:51 AM   #4
Fully Optimized

To answer your question, yes, maybe. Some websites are self-contained so that you could download the whole site and have all (or at least most) of the links work provided they are "local" links (within the sites folder hierarchy). However, external links that reference another site would not work. It will be good only for static content such as a link that opens an image of a map stored on your laptop. Anything that has code behind it most likely will not work.

As far as having an internet connection while traveling, even if your phone can't be used as a router (I assume you mean hotspot here) it may still be able to be used for internet access using a USB cable to tether the phone to the laptop. You will still have the issue of places where there is no cell signal but when you do have a cell signal you'll have an internet connection.

If interested in this, post back with your cell phone model and which cellular carrier you're with and I will attempt to find out if you can/cannot doe this.
strollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 01:03 AM   #5
Daemon Poster

You might want to also check out WiGLE to locate available hotspots. https://wigle.net/gps/gps/Map/onlinemap2/

What phone do you have?
Legodude522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 04:05 PM   #6
Site Team

Send a message via AIM to celegorm

If you're not looking for GPS functionality and just want to look at maps or written directions, why not print the screens to PDF (chrome has the option built in) then you can just pull up the PDFs when you need the info.

Team Thelegorm! Total Kills: 21 (i iz in uor profile, editsing your sigz)
celegorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 11:10 PM   #7
Golden Master

If you aren't sure on how to do print to PDFs then follow this guide for Chrome https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/1379552?hl=en, Internet Explorer & Firefox don't have the option to do it without the use of a 3rd party tool.

BK_123 is offline   Reply With Quote