Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Software and Operating Systems
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-15-2009, 11:52 AM   #1
In Runtime
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 136
Default Please tell a Noob why He would ever want to dual boot?

I have 2 fairly new laptops with almost no files that are critical (like data,pics,music,etc.) to back up.

I currently have Vista as the OS.

Please tell me what the advantages it would be to have Ubuntu on there also and what specs,hardware wise I would need.

And how much time would I put in configuring it?
__________________

__________________
I heartily recommend Root-a-pedia! It's all I use. Never let's you down.
Juan handed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 01:32 PM   #2
Daemon Poster
 
wmorri's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,066
Send a message via AIM to wmorri
Default Re: Please tell a Noob why He would ever want to dual boot?

Hi,

I will tell you why you would want to do a dual boot from the outlook of someone who has been using linux for a little while. The first reason I would want to using it is that linux is FREE. The other reason is that you will be learning a lot when you using linux whether you use it twice a month, twice a week, or twice a day you will be learning new things, and there is nothing wrong with learning.

As for configuring linux, the install will take about 12 to 15 minutes. You don't have to configure anything inside Ubuntu itself if you don't want to. The GUI works perfectly fine the way it is, but it is all up to you to how much configuring you do.

Other than that I don't really know what you want to know or want to hear. So gives us your questions and we will spit back answers.

Cheers!
__________________

__________________
LEARN BY DOING NOT BY FOLLOWING DIRECTIONS!
Linux Forever!

I thought you were a hispanic/african american? Who is the white guy in the pictures?
wmorri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 10:50 PM   #3
In Runtime
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 136
Default Re: Please tell a Noob why He would ever want to dual boot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmorri View Post
Hi,

Other than that I don't really know what you want to know or want to hear. So gives us your questions and we will spit back answers.

Cheers!
The dual boot seems to be a popular thing to do with those in the forum.I am trying to understand the practical uses and advantages of having 2 OSs. If say you have used only Windows,what would be the advantage of having another OS available to you.What are the circumstances(other than in the name of curiosity and learning) that you say,"for this problem or project,I must use Ubuntu."
__________________
I heartily recommend Root-a-pedia! It's all I use. Never let's you down.
Juan handed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 04:11 AM   #4
Daemon Poster
 
wmorri's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,066
Send a message via AIM to wmorri
Default Re: Please tell a Noob why He would ever want to dual boot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan handed
"for this problem or project,I must use Ubuntu."
First I never said that you have to use ubuntu. I don't even use ubuntu, there are a lot of reason but that is a different topic.

I feel one of the great reasons that I have made a complete switch to using Linux is that I don't have to worry about spyware, malware, adware, etc. I don't ever have to by software again. Anything that I want I can find for free, it might be a slightly different program than the windows equivalent but they do the same things, and that is what I care about.

I am not really sure what else to write here, I am used to getting questions, so I hope I am helping you if not please try and give me some directions and I will find some information for you.

Cheers!
__________________
LEARN BY DOING NOT BY FOLLOWING DIRECTIONS!
Linux Forever!

I thought you were a hispanic/african american? Who is the white guy in the pictures?
wmorri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 08:43 AM   #5
In Runtime
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 136
Default Re: Please tell a Noob why He would ever want to dual boot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmorri View Post
First I never said that you have to use ubuntu. I don't even use ubuntu, there are a lot of reason but that is a different topic.
I chose Ubuntu because it seems to be the most popular Linux version(?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmorri View Post
I feel one of the great reasons that I have made a complete switch to using Linux is that I don't have to worry about spyware, malware, adware, etc. I don't ever have to by software again. Anything that I want I can find for free, it might be a slightly different program than the windows equivalent but they do the same things, and that is what I care about.
I understand the free part and the spyware/malware thing.Both very important,I thought there was much more I was failing to understand.I was thinking that having two OSs would be a good troubleshooting tool,to see if a device,like a router or something reacted differently on different OSs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmorri View Post
I am not really sure what else to write here, I am used to getting questions, so I hope I am helping you if not please try and give me some directions and I will find some information for you.Cheers!
Maybe I should ask the question in reverse....if you have Linux,why would you consider having another OS available to you?

And is there any hardware considerations for having 2 OSs,like HDD or whatever?
__________________
I heartily recommend Root-a-pedia! It's all I use. Never let's you down.
Juan handed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 11:01 AM   #6
In Runtime
 
Gamputer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 169
Default Re: Please tell a Noob why He would ever want to dual boot?

The current trend in the PC software is that we are slowly moving from desktop software applications to the applications on the web.

The only good reason to go with the Microsoft OS such as Vista or W7, is because, we still rely much of buisness applications (such as word processors) and Gaming Softwares on them.

Therefore, a person who uses PC for mostly web surfing and web applications would benefit from a OS which is more efficient and has less virus targeting to wreck the PC system...namely, the Mac (Snow Leopard OS) or Linux.

Although I have to say, although, much of what I've just mentioned is based on facts, theoretically, W7 also has anti-virus softwares to protect the PC.

I would try out linux though, just for the sake of trying new things like the above post.
Gamputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 05:01 PM   #7
Fully Optimized
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: England
Posts: 3,390
Default Re: Please tell a Noob why He would ever want to dual boot?

I use a dual boot system. Two seperate hard drives each installed with XP Pro.

I've got lots of audio production software, virtual instruments and dynamics/processor plugins that I have installed on one drive with a streamlined XP Pro installation. Ethernet ports disabled, classic theme, etc. Strictly all resources devoted to audio production.

My second drive has my second OS install. Anti-virus, nice theme and internet access. This install is for my online activity.

I tinkered with boot.ini to re-label the options I get at start up, Studio and Internet, and the jobs done!

And i'll add a Linux distro for a triple boot set up once I fully understand the 'grub'. To have the whole lot on one drive, under one OS just would be un-practical and un-productive. Thats why I dual boot.
__________________
Lenovo ThinkPad T410 - i7 620M - 8GB RAM - Crucial M4 120GB SSD - 250GB 2nd drive - Intel HD 3000 GPU - 1440x900 - Windows 7/8
REMENIZ Computers
Remeniz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 05:32 PM   #8
Daemon Poster
 
wmorri's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,066
Send a message via AIM to wmorri
Default Re: Please tell a Noob why He would ever want to dual boot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan handed
good troubleshooting tool,to see if a device,like a router or something reacted differently on different OSs.
Hi,

I will try and answer these questions, as they haven't been posed to me in a very long time.

I think that troubleshooting can be a very good reason to have a second OS. Something you will find though is that the OS is to blame and not the hardware, there will be times when you are testing hardware like wireless routers that you can't connect to it on Linux but can on windows. However, others that have the exact setup as you will be able to connect just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan handed
...if you have Linux,why would you consider having another OS available to you?
This is the hardest question for me. The reason being is that once I have my Linux OS set up the way that I want it I don't really have a reason to go back to my Windows OS. I use Linux virtually exclusively for everything from web browsing and checking email, to watching movies, and writing web pages. So, if I was to go back it would be solely to play games. Linux doesn't really play games very well.

I guess that is what I have to say about that. Sorry if I am not very helpful maybe some others can help you more that use Linux less and windows more.

Cheers!
__________________
LEARN BY DOING NOT BY FOLLOWING DIRECTIONS!
Linux Forever!

I thought you were a hispanic/african american? Who is the white guy in the pictures?
wmorri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 08:44 PM   #9
In Runtime
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 136
Default Re: Please tell a Noob why He would ever want to dual boot?

If I were to install a 2nd OS,how much hard drive size should I figure on using up?
__________________
I heartily recommend Root-a-pedia! It's all I use. Never let's you down.
Juan handed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 06:58 AM   #10
Daemon Poster
 
wmorri's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,066
Send a message via AIM to wmorri
Default Re: Please tell a Noob why He would ever want to dual boot?

Hi,

It depends on the size of your current hdd, and how often you plan on using linux. I would recommend 30-40GB if you can afford that much space. It is all based on how much space you have left on your hdd.

Cheers!
__________________

__________________
LEARN BY DOING NOT BY FOLLOWING DIRECTIONS!
Linux Forever!

I thought you were a hispanic/african american? Who is the white guy in the pictures?
wmorri is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0