Photoshop CS2 help - (Dev0115!!)

joxley1990

Golden Master
Hey, well, I bought CS2 at last, and I want to start image editing.

I have this one picture, where there are two people in it, and a nice background of a lake.

Now, I want to keep the people color, and the rest B&W. I used the select and lasso tool, but it is just not accurate enough..

So how can I select objects, perfectly?

MarxSoccer said:
Zoom in alot, ha

Actually yeah basically what he said zoom in alot. That might just work or if not i think there is something in Photoshop that lets you seperate things into layers i am not sure try googleing seperate layers in adobe photoshop or something along those lines and see what comes up. :D

there's another tool called 'magnetic lasso' you can choose if you click that little triangle on the corner of the lasso tooltip. its pretty much like a regular lasso except it follows the line of pixels that are fairly different in color and snaps to the line that separates those colors (in this case a foreground and background). for example, if it's just your subject in the foreground click on the edge of the people and move your mouse around the edge and all the way back to your starting point.

it's not PERFECT, but it works better than manual lassoing.

Actually, the guy who said you just need to zoom in a lot was correct, however, you should also use the polygonal lasso (different from the magnetic lasso). The polygonal lasso allows you to select abstract shapes, by clicking along their perimeter. If you zoom in far enough, you should be able to select the outlines of the people fairly clearly, if you do it in small increments. Also, before you start selecting them, you should probably use the feathering option. Depending on how large your image is, and how soft you want the edges, I'd set it between about 3 and 30 pixels. Once you have them selected, you could either cut and paste them onto a new layer, and desaturate the base layer, or you can right click and click select inverse, and then desaturate. If you didn't use enough feathering, or the people still look too cut-and-pasted, you can use the blur tool to soften their outlines. (Here's an example http://ic1.deviantart.com/fs7/i/2005/172/c/1/___Reflective_by_spark_zero.jpg)
Hope that helps.

Thanks all, I used the magnetic lasso in the end, still havent done it, taking me agers!

Ill post the pic once it's done.

Thanks

Im sure he didnt buy it, who in the world would buy it, if your not into commercial work...Anyhow, the best tool, and most precise tool, in PS, isnt any lasso tool..Use the pen tool, the most accurate one on CS2.

Back
Top Bottom