pchnotify.exe annoyance and .NET SP 1.1 download failure

annabelle1

Beta member
Hello

Hope you don't mind me asking a question, being a newbie member (sorry!).

I have Windows XP with IE 6.

For the past three days, every time I shut my computer down, Windows Automatic Update has been telling me to download updates by clicking the ‘Shut Down' button, which I do. But the next time I shut down, it appears again (obviously the updates installation is failing), and each time I start-up I get an Error Message –

pchnotify.exe Common Language Runtime Debugger
“Application has generated an exception that could not be handled.
Click OK to terminate the application.
Click CANCEL to debug the application.”

(This does Error Message does not appear if I have clicked on ‘shut down without instaling updates')

If I click CANCEL (to debug the application), a second error message appears –

SL3.tmp
“Application has generated an exception that could not be handled.
Click OK to terminate the application.
Click CANCEL to debug the application.”

If I click CANCEL again, i get a third message –

Registered JIT debugger not available.
Please check computer settings cordbg.exe !a0x3e4

If I try downloading the updates manually from the Windows Update toolbar icon, I get a message saying that Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack has failed to install. This particular download has failed to download on every automatic update over the last year or so, but has never caused any problems before.

So I went on to Microsoft Windows Update's site, and tried the downloads from there. The same happened - Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack failed to install. Upon clicking a few things to find out why, the following Error Message appeared as the reason –

SL9.tmp
Process id= 0x40c (1036)
Thread id= 0xf8e (3980)

As all here will know, there is no point trying Windows Help Centre (though I did have another brief go), so there is no alternative but to ask on a forum.

I'm sure it is this Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack that is causing the problem, even though it has failed to install on dozens of download attempts before, without any problem.
Any one know how to fix this pesky pchnotify.exe error message, and get rid of this pesky service pack download attempt? It seems the 2 problems are connected.

Yet again, it may well be a coincidence, and that I have 2 problems needing fixing????

Would appreciate your help. Cheers, and sorry again!
Anna

Back
Top Bottom