PC not shutting off or restarting

sammytheman

In Runtime
Hey fellas recently I have this problem where when I click Restart or Shut Down, it goes to "Windows in now shutting down" screen and nothing happens. So i have to power it off by pressing the button on the system. Any help would be greatly appreciated. By the way I have XP.

Usually this occurs because of a software program refusing to close. The key to it is finding out what software program is causing it. It could also be a device attached to your computer, the printer, scanner, etc. Try disconnecting everything from the PC except for the monitor, and see what it does.

what are the specs of your pc? i used to have random problems like that on my old pc. could also be software as said above. a good old re install of xp should sort it. never hurts to re install once and a while anyway!

dude1234 said:
what are the specs of your pc? i used to have random problems like that on my old pc. could also be software as said above. a good old re install of xp should sort it. never hurts to re install once and a while anyway!

Specs:

2GB Geil ram, I gig each
bfg 7800 gt
dfi lanparty nf4 mobo
amd 64 3500
120GB hard drive

When you say re-install XP, you mean to just "repair install" right?

sounds like a nice lil pc. i actually meant a re format and a clean re install. that way all bugs and random crap will be wiped out and you can start again (backup your data of course).

Boot up your computer, tapping F8, and enter Safe Mode With Networking. And try shutting down from there. If you don't get the same result, it's a software issue, and reinstall would probably fix it, but you'll never find the issue if you just reinstall everytime you have an issue. Just my opinion...

dude1234 said:
sounds like a nice lil pc. i actually meant a re format and a clean re install. that way all bugs and random crap will be wiped out and you can start again (backup your data of course).
How do I do this thing. Backup? I've never done it before.

yea just use cds, dvds (if you have a dvd drive), memory stick, etc. then use the xp cd to do a clean install

Back
Top Bottom