Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Software and Operating Systems
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 05-31-2013, 01:57 PM   #1
Solid State Member

Default PC Hibernation Problem

I have a laptop that will not boot from hibernation, it will display a backlight and if you press space while booting you are given the option to erase saved hibernate info but if you let it continue it will only boot to a black backlit screen. It will flash if you press keys and you can hear a sound if you press certain keys so I know windows is booted. I have had times where if I enter or click the users avatar by guessing its location it will sign in and I can see the screen but most of the time it requires a reboot. Any thoughts on how to fix this? So long as its not hardware I believe I am just going to reinstall the OS can someone confirm this is just a software issue or have any ideas on how to fix it?

Null is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:02 PM   #2
Baseband Member

Default Re: PC Hibernation Problem

I would disable the hibernation completely, it can end up being a huge 10Gb+ file depending on how much memory you have. Your laptop will still be able to resume from sleep in the same way. I just use the sleep function on my computer every night and I have my hibernation file disabled.

If you can get into and see the OS then open a command prompt and enter

powercfg.exe -h off

Then just use the sleep function instead of hibernate.

Branjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:16 PM   #3
Solid State Member

I haven't tried this command but I disabled it another way and it still managing to do it and I think its from sleep mode as well, could there be anything else causing it to do this? Honestly this PC has been slow so a reinstall wouldn't hurt so long as either disabling it or reinstalling OS will fix it.
Null is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:10 PM   #4
Baseband Member

Well I am someone who's reinstalled my OS more times than I have unistalled a program lol. So if you don't have anything left that you need to keep on the PC, the best way to be sure is to wipe that sucker out. If the error is in the hiberfil.sys file then it would probably keep occurring when its accessed, much in the same way if a restore point has saved a virus, going back to it will just reenter the same virus. I think just disabling hibernation doesn't actually delete the file. I would also delete your pagefile too, you would have to make hidden/protected OS files visible to do this. Or just disable page file the usual way, boot with none and then delete it, then make another.
Branjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 01:40 PM   #5
Fully Optimized

Another thing to try is installing the latest versions of GPU drivers and chipset drivers as both affect sleep mode/hibernation behavior.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:08 PM   #6
Fully Optimized

I've said and have seen more than enough times that Hibernation is a joke. It never works right and has caused me nothing but trouble. Sleep or power off for me.
jmacavali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:37 AM   #7
Golden Master

I use hibernation and I don't have any problems..
BK_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 05:44 PM   #8
In Runtime

I too have never had hibernation problems. But sleeping a desktop still leaves the fans on. And my "quiet" fans are quite noisy on low RPM. Having said that I only hibernate mine about twice a year.

By the sounds of things you are going to reinstall whether you get this sorted before or after. So how about just reinstalling Windows and see what hsppens as the chances are it is Windows related.

Mossiac