Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Software and Operating Systems
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 03-01-2007, 11:43 AM   #1
Solid State Member

Default pc freezes !!

When I insert a cd into my dvd burner and it starts running ,my pc freezes up and does nothing, I have to take cd out and restart pc.

I thought the burner was the problem but that wasn't the case.

ANY IDEAS , ANYONE!!

PC SPECS: WIN XP PRO
2GIGS OF RAM
SONY DVD BURNER

jalo215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 11:53 AM   #2
In Runtime

Send a message via AIM to Daeva Send a message via MSN to Daeva Send a message via Yahoo to Daeva
Default Re: pc freezes !!

did you build the computer, or did you buy it pre-built?
Sounds like there might be a driver problem. Can you give a more complete list of the components in the computer?
Off hand though, I would say go to sony's website, and download an updated version of the firmware for the dvd drive, that may fix the issue.

Daeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 12:13 PM   #3
Solid State Member

I recently built this pc myself. I had this same problem with my old burner also, so I don't think it has anything to do with the drivers for the burner.

Intel pentium D dual processor 3.00ghz,ecs elitegroup motherboard p4m800prm-m fsb 1066< onboard _channel audio
Old 03-01-2007, 12:56 PM   #4
In Runtime

Send a message via AIM to Daeva Send a message via MSN to Daeva Send a message via Yahoo to Daeva

well drivers and firmware are 2 different things. For example, you have to update the firmware on your router, but you need to update drivers on a NIC. Drivers tell the operating system how to comunicate with the device(basically) and firmware, is almost like a service pack for the rom drive. The old burner you speak of, did you have it in this computer, or a different one?
Old 03-01-2007, 01:01 PM   #5
muz
Golden Master

i have had this problem a few times , i have found it to be broken drive , as i put a new drive in and problem solved but it could also be an IDE Cable problem or motherboard problem
Old 03-01-2007, 01:10 PM   #6
In Runtime

Quote:
i have had this problem a few times , i have found it to be broken drive , as i put a new drive in and problem solved but it could also be an IDE Cable problem or motherboard problem
I would have to agree with that. If you're SURE it's not the drive itself, or the drivers(I would check those first, because they are easiest to troubleshoot and cheapest and least time consuming to replace.), then I would start looking at the cables/motherboard. If it's the same motherboard, it's a good bet that there may be something wrong with it.
Old 03-01-2007, 02:20 PM   #7
Solid State Member

the burner and the motherboard are new, the old burner had the same problem.I guess is time to do more troubleshooting.
Old 03-01-2007, 02:43 PM   #8
In Runtime

Quote:
the burner and the motherboard are new, the old burner had the same problem.I guess is time to do more troubleshooting.
Ok, tell me a little bit more about the situation.
1.) What caused the problem with that computer.
2.) What happened to the old computer (did you fix it, did you RMA the parts)?
3.) If you know any model numbers to these parts, it would help us diagnose as we could look up known hardware issues with the parts.
4.) Did you buy the correct type of DVD drive? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AT_Attachment
5.) Try and recap more specifically what was going on when this happened.
Was this the first boot. I'm assuming the drive worked at one point, because you said that you have windows on the system. What happened prior to the drive malfunctioning? Are all the pieces in this computer different or did you take some from the old computer?
Old 03-01-2007, 09:24 PM   #9
Solid State Member

1.) I just upgraded my whole system

2.) The old computer was getting a little slow, so I upgraded.

3.)All new parts , new cpu, motherboard, ram, hdd, case, and dvd burner, everything new.

4.)After I did the upgrade I noticed that everytime I would put a music cd or dvd movie in the dvd burner ,the computer would freeze.I notice that it doesn't happen all the time, but it happens often and its getting annoying.

5.) I'll get all model #'s on new parts if it will help, just give me some time.
Old 03-02-2007, 05:09 AM   #10
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Raffaz Send a message via MSN to Raffaz Send a message via Yahoo to Raffaz

Any problems in device manager? Any problems in event viewer? Does this happen with all discs or just a certain one? Try an original disc, if you have one handy. Also, install all windows updates etc, if you havent done so already.

Raffaz is offline   Reply With Quote