Parents Computer = Dead

OscarWilde

Solid State Member
All of a sudden... it had a clean install of windows 7 3 months ago. And they don't do ANYTHING. They surf the internet and download music (through iTunes only).

Suddenly today; it had like a critical meltdown.

I can't get it to boot in safe mode; it won't finish any kind of system repair; I even inserted the Windows 7 install disc and changed the boot order to disc first. I ran a diagnostic of the HDD and it "passed" everything seems fine. Except obviously not.

I have some images of the last error I received (this was whilst trying to run system repair off the windows 7 disc)

6891282256_2d397bd625_b.jpg

Any things I can attempt I am more than happy to :)

(LAST resort i going to be resinstalling windows fresh again. But my mom has some banking info and files saved that she'd like to be able to keep so... only if it has to come to that.)

I'm fairly computer savvy; but A little detail with your instructions would still be helpful :)

Cheers!

Wow, how strange. :|

Did they have anti-virus and a decent firewall? Did they have automatic updates? These are the things I'd wonder.

I'd say use MS-DOS (or another PC) to recover your mother's valuable files, and re-install; that OS looks like it's in a mess. :| Personally, I wouldn't trust the OS after that sort of error.

My thoughts exactly... after trying like 5 different ways just to get it to do SOMETHING and getting nothing; it just seems like it had a random heart attack and died :p

Is there any way to transfer HDD contents to something external... like a disk or external hard drive through DOS?

Yeah, but with a mess of manually installing drivers, or using a motherboard feature that emulates USB as an HDD, but I highly doubt your MB has that. What you'll wanna do is burn off a file manager boot up CD that supports NTFS (or whatever file system you're using) and use that. I think Paragon have one, but I'm not sure. It's a shame, because I have a special professional CD used by technicians that would sort the job perfectly for you. lol Bummer, eh? xD Best of luck, bud.

Check your ram sticks, might not be seated correctly or bad ram, try other ram.

I had this problem once & found my memory failed, replaced it and all ok.

To get the data, I'd recommend booting into a Linux live cd. Then you can access the internal harddrive and copy the files over to a flash drive or something. Just use another computer to download and install a live Linux distro (like Ubuntu, which is at http://ubuntu.com/

Back
Top Bottom