Other Linux Distros other than Ubuntu

wmorri

Daemon Poster
So there has been a lot of talk lately about Ubuntu. It is a great distro for people that are looking to take there first baby steps in the other half of the OS world. However I am interested in knowing what other distros are out there that you people use and why you like them so much. I am going to be moving on to Fedora Core 8 shortly and learning about red hat. Mainly because it will help my education, and hopefully my career.

So in short what distros are you using and why.

Cheers!

distros I've used are: as follows.

redhat from redhat 7 through to fedora 7 and enterprie linux 4
mainly used this on webservers, DNS server, proxy servers, firewalls, mySQL servers and Oracle servers and Mail servers.

suse: used simply as a desktop to test my Uni coursework

Debian 7: used for a short while as a web server OS and as a firewall

CentOS: used as a DNS server and as a mail server

and DSL just for fun.

I'm pretty much a redhat guy through and through though when it comes to Linux distros.

(i've also used the stripped out versions of linux like the smoothwall linux distro that just runs a firewall, and I've used the stripped out version of Linux that runs on Nokia (and I assume a few others I just don't know about) firewalls and routers when setting up these devices...

In addition to that, those looking to learn linux for the server OS might also be interested to know that Suns Solaris which is a true UNIX OS has been freely available for years.
and I've used that for running LDAP.

oddly enough though, even with that experiance I'm still much more aufait with microsoft technologies.

edit - also I've never actually used Ubuntu. though I've heard good things I just think that if I wanted to use a powerful OS with the feel and ease of use of windows, I'd just keep using XP setup and secured correctly!

Thanks for the answer root. I have to use windows unfortunately because I am taking a computer class on line from a local college and it is primarily a course on how to use Office 2007. That being said I am really interested in learning about red hat and all that it has to offer.

i'm personally a fan of suse or any of the slackware(based) releases.

and a word to the wise, make sure you start with a large release such as those we've mentioned.

i started with zenwalk linux and it hardly supported my hardware.

Back
Top Bottom