OS X vs. Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.
i dont get why people always compare OS X, Windows and Linux operating environments. OS X is a media-based operating system, iMovie, iPhoto, iTunes etc. Linux OS's are high-powered open sourced systems that are free to download and use, but have some flaws that render them inferior to OS X, and Windows is just a conformist platform that every tom, dick and jerry end up using. although, Windows is better for compatibility.

to be honest, im sure that OS 9 is a better comparison to Windows that OS 10 is. Windows isnt even in the same league as OS X yet (in my opinion)

yes, this is an opinion, don't eat me for it.

The last mac i used didnt have a second mouse button?

mac-imac20.jpg

It was a standard mouse with the ball scroll wheel? Or am i doin' it wrong (Lol)?

you have to change it in the system prefs. the mighty mouse and the magic mouse both have right clicks, if you enable right clicks in the Keyboard & Mouse section of system prefs.

OS X is a media-based operating system, iMovie, iPhoto, iTunes etc. Linux OS's are high-powered open sourced systems that are free to download and use, but have some flaws that render them inferior to OS X, and Windows is just a conformist platform that every tom, dick and jerry end up using. although, Windows is better for compatibility.
What flaws are you talking about that render them inferior to OS X? I've used KDE and Gnome extensively and haven't found these flaws yet - I'm more productive on both of those than either OS X or windows!

I love OS X but I'm just fine with Windows 7. I'm OS agnostic. Give me Windows XP/Vista/7, Mac OS X, or Linux I'm down with it. It all works. I just don't like those damn fanboys.

What flaws are you talking about that render them inferior to OS X? I've used KDE and Gnome extensively and haven't found these flaws yet - I'm more productive on both of those than either OS X or windows!

they're not fundamental flaws or anything serious, just that OS's like Ubuntu, Kubuntu etc. that use the lastest linux kernel occasionally, well, rarely, have a kernel error which puts them down on reliability a bit. Also, im much more productive inside OS X than UNIX/Linux or Windows.

they're not fundamental flaws or anything serious, just that OS's like Ubuntu, Kubuntu etc. that use the lastest linux kernel occasionally, well, rarely, have a kernel error which puts them down on reliability a bit. Also, im much more productive inside OS X than UNIX/Linux or Windows.
In terms of general bugs (not kernel stuff because I don't think that's what you mean) I've never found such issues to be a problem in the last 2-3 years or so. Before that, yes sometimes they did crop up - but that's why you had the older versions available. KDE and Gnome have both been rock solid for years now (with the exception of KDE4 in its early stages, but that was well publicised so you only had yourself to blame if you chose to use that ;)) and pretty much anyone can install Ubuntu these days without much hassle. My Grandma did it a few months back!

Kernel errors though? Are you sure about that? There have been very very few noticeable bugs in the kernel these last few years - with the exception of stuff marked "EXPERIMENTAL" (but again, if you choose that what do you expect? Even then it's usually pretty stable.) The 2.6 kernel has been stable for many years now and I've abused various forms of it and haven't come across any bugs or errors. The dent on reliability through these sorts of rare bugs is absolutely minimal - you're much more likely to trash your windows box than you are to stumble across an obscure kernel bug!

I personally think a lot of complaints with various linux distros simply come because most users expect it to be exactly like windows and moan when they can't use it in the same way. Fair enough, I'm not forcing anyone to use anything and if people find it less productive that's completely fine. It doesn't mean it's buggy however :)

when i last had Ubuntu Karmic Koala (9.10) on a dual-boot, after the second set of updates, it updated to the very latest kernel. After this, is simply refused to boot every time i tried. this happened twice, then i gave up on karmic and moved to Jaunty.

using the older kernel, never had any problems.

Macs support two mouse buttons. They have since OS X 10.0, and they have supported context menus since I think OS 9. For OS 9 you could even get a program that would recognize a second mouse button and scroll wheel in the Finder.
I generally prefer Macs, however you can't have the fun of building them. I have Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on my IBM-based PC, and I'm saying a lot when I say it's the best overall Windows OS I have used. I was an XP veteran for a while, and Windows 7 was actually a relief. In the Linux world, I prefer Ubuntu. In fact, I would rather use Ubuntu instead of Windows if it had more features built in and and the Wine Windows emulator worked better.

In a nutshell, Windows 7, Mac OS X 10.4.11 and higher, and Ubuntu are my favorites.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom