Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Software and Operating Systems
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-22-2015, 03:22 PM   #11
Golden Master
 
135791's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: No
Posts: 5,427
Send a message via MSN to 135791
Default Re: OS: Win 7...? Should I? -1st build

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonGuy View Post
?

?

Windows 7 still gets support btw. You have to remember, the OS stops getting updates after they decide there is nothing else to update. Win 8 won't have an update for a long time if ever again.
I imagine one of the reasons they're pushing for everyone to move to Win10 other than the fact they're going to be pushing there own App store is the fact they want to shorten or end the length of support older OS's get.
__________________

135791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 03:34 PM   #12
In Runtime
 
NikonGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Probably the USA?
Posts: 440
Default Re: OS: Win 7...? Should I? -1st build

Ever heard of the saying " Don't fix something that isn't broken " ? Win 7 still gets support, there is no way anyone knows when Win 7 will stop getting support, so don't take measures based on the idea that support for win 7 MIGHT get dropped. That's like saying, "well my computer is 3 years old, it works perfectly now, but some day, maybe in a couple years, it'll stop working or have problems so I should buy a new computer now just to be safe."

Now, if this user wants win 8 than go for it. But he doesn't. He can't stand it. So getting win 7 at this point is perfectly fine, and is actually a good choice. It's his choice in the end, I just don't think we should be telling him things based off of what might happen in a year or two or more. ( the chances of support being dropped within a year are pretty much 0 )
__________________

__________________
Asus USB 3.0 Mobo - 16Gb DDr3 1866mhz Ram - AMD FX 6300 Hexa core 4.0Ghx OC - Corsair CX600M PSU - Corsair H80i Cooler - Gigabyte Gefore GT 730 2Gb GDDr5 - WD Blue 1tb 7200rpm - WD 360gb 5200rpm Backup drive.
NikonGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 05:01 PM   #13
Fully Optimized
 
BikerEcho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Denmark
Posts: 4,013
Default Re: OS: Win 7...? Should I? -1st build

relax Nikon. The government aren't interested in what YOU are doing.
And they could spy on you whatever OS you are using. Win7, Win8, Mac OSX. It doesn't really matter.

A lot of people was very much against upgrading from XP to vista. I see the same with windows 7. But we can't all stay with Win7 forever.
I think windows 10 looks like it's gonna be a worthy successor to Win7.
I'll say get the OS you can find cheapest, Then upgrade to Win10 when it's released.
That's what i would do at least.
__________________
MOBO: Asus Maximus 6 Hero - GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980ti xtreme - CPU: I7-4770K - PSU: Corsair AX760
RAM: Corsair Vantage 2x4GB - SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 512 + LiteOn LCS-256 - Case: NZXT H440
BikerEcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 05:55 PM   #14
In Runtime
 
NikonGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Probably the USA?
Posts: 440
Default Re: OS: Win 7...? Should I? -1st build

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerEcho View Post
relax Nikon. The government aren't interested in what YOU are doing.
And they could spy on you whatever OS you are using. Win7, Win8, Mac OSX. It doesn't really matter.
In Denmark I would agree. But it's different here in the states, the gov here is always looking at what we are doing. And Win 7 is far less track-able than Win 8 or 10. With win 8 Microsoft has the ability to remotely shut down your system, remove files etc. They cannot on win 7 Either way, lets not derail this thread on that.
I think everyone here can agree that until the time being, Win 7 is the better option until you choose to upgrade at a later point.
__________________
Asus USB 3.0 Mobo - 16Gb DDr3 1866mhz Ram - AMD FX 6300 Hexa core 4.0Ghx OC - Corsair CX600M PSU - Corsair H80i Cooler - Gigabyte Gefore GT 730 2Gb GDDr5 - WD Blue 1tb 7200rpm - WD 360gb 5200rpm Backup drive.
NikonGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 09:42 PM   #15
Site Team
 
celegorm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 10,713
Send a message via AIM to celegorm
Default Re: OS: Win 7...? Should I? -1st build

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonGuy View Post
win7 doesn't need updates
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonGuy View Post
You have to remember, the OS stops getting updates after they decide there is nothing else to update
Both of these statements are very, very false.

OS's always needs updates as there are always security flaws being found that need patching. The reason OS's stop getting updates is because a company like Microsoft has determined it's not worth their money to keep paying people to fix software that's 1) very old and 2) versions out of date.
__________________
"as a fanboy i refuse to admit it and will pull countless things out of my butt to disprove it"

Team Thelegorm! Total Kills: 21 (i iz in uor profile, editsing your sigz)
celegorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 10:17 PM   #16
In Runtime
 
NikonGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Probably the USA?
Posts: 440
Default Re: OS: Win 7...? Should I? -1st build

Quote:
Originally Posted by celegorm View Post
Both of these statements are very, very false.

OS's always needs updates as there are always security flaws being found that need patching. The reason OS's stop getting updates is because a company like Microsoft has determined it's not worth their money to keep paying people to fix software that's 1) very old and 2) versions out of date.
Well I can't argue on that, because my statements were based off of I haven't seen any updates from microsoft on their OS's in quite some time :P
__________________
Asus USB 3.0 Mobo - 16Gb DDr3 1866mhz Ram - AMD FX 6300 Hexa core 4.0Ghx OC - Corsair CX600M PSU - Corsair H80i Cooler - Gigabyte Gefore GT 730 2Gb GDDr5 - WD Blue 1tb 7200rpm - WD 360gb 5200rpm Backup drive.
NikonGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 11:28 PM   #17
In Runtime
 
jarlmaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 473
Default Re: OS: Win 7...? Should I? -1st build

Who cares if the government looks at all your stuff. If you aren't doing anything wrong whats the problem? They don't give a crap what 99 percent of the people in this country are doing. Look at my computer and all you will see is my boring ass emails, my games, and my resume (plus some old school work I prob haven't deleted). Look away. People are so concerned about privacy and I have no idea why.

Computer related stuff now: please get Windows 8 and install classic shell. Windows 8 has so many optimizations over 7. Then get Windows 10. DirectX 12. Nuff said. Plus further optimizations
jarlmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 06:04 AM   #18
Fully Optimized
 
joedaman633's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: England, Birmingham
Posts: 1,812
Default Re: OS: Win 7...? Should I? -1st build

Install the cheapest and then get the free upgrade to Windows 10...

You're welcome.
__________________
Athlon II x4 645 || 1TB 7200rpm HDD || EVGA GTX 650Ti OC || 8GB DDR3 RAM || Windows 7 Home x64

i5 4210M || 500GB Samsung EVO 850 SSD || GeForce 825M || 16GB DDR3 RAM || Windows 10 x64
joedaman633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 07:50 AM   #19
Golden Master
 
BK_123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 7,528
Default Re: OS: Win 7...? Should I? -1st build

Quote:
Originally Posted by strollin View Post
I disagree that Win 8 is more complicated to use than Win 7. I have both Win 7 and Win 8 machines and bounce back and forth between them thru out the day and, for the most part, I don't even think about the fact that I'm on a different machine with a different OS. I use the same set of programs on each and there is very little difference. Of course, I stick with the desktop on Win 8 and don't use any "modern" apps.
I am with Strollin and I am in the same boat. My DV6 laptop runs Win 7 Ultimate and my spare Asus laptop runs Win 8.1 Pro and so does our Acer Touchscreen at home runs Win 8.1 Pro. I quite like Win 8/8.1, I just don't use any of apps or metro side of it and have no troubles. I haven't even resorted to installing a 3rd party start menu and it still works flawlessly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonGuy View Post
Well I can't argue on that, because my statements were based off of I haven't seen any updates from microsoft on their OS's in quite some time :P
Updates get released for Win 8/8.1 every few week and as for Win 7 I think updates are still being made correct me if I am wrong..
BK_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 07:56 AM   #20
Golden Master
 
135791's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: No
Posts: 5,427
Send a message via MSN to 135791
Default Re: OS: Win 7...? Should I? -1st build

It's not just MS that can stop supporting an OS. For example I'm a Vista user waiting for Win10 and I can't install the latest version of Photoshop CS as it's not supported, I also can't run Unreal 4 as again it's not supported just an example. The same will eventually happen to 7.
__________________

135791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0