OS not detected

Netbook Shopper

Solid State Member
I took a harddrive out of my husband's computer thinking it was another component of the computer, when I reinserted the HD and upon startup now in an MSDOS-looking screen it tells me that the operating system is not detected.

I followed the directions to turn the HD into an external harddrive, so I know for a fact that its contents are OK because I tested it by accessing/using a few files and programs on another computer.

Is there a way to reinsert the HD, do something to force the computer to recognize the OS (windows XP), and retain all data in one fell swoop?

If I can't make it recognize the OS without formatting it... is there a way to make a different external HD recognize and backup this one, that way I can go ahead and still have it backed up, but also make his computer "usable" again by backing his old HD up, but then format it and make his computer like a new one....

oh yeah, i have to do all this without the original system CDs or any other CD's that may have come with the computer originally. This is an old Gateway M500 laptop, and I think he left his Cds that went with in his storage unit in TX.

Back
Top Bottom