Os install problem

Truck56

Beta member
When I purchased my pc 6 yrs ago it came preinstalled with windows 2000 as the Os. A couple yrs ago a buddy installed windows xp pro (unlicensed version). Now of course I cant get any windows updates and the company I purchased my pc from has gone out of business. Is it possible to reinstall windows 2000 from my harddrive without the CD. By the way my buddy did not create a system restore date before he installed the xp pro over windows 2000. My mistake.

It would appear that your friend installed over the existing partition, so i don't think you have Windows 2000 on the hhd. if you do then this little test will tell you.

All you do is restart the computer, right after the computer logo disappears, kepp your finger on the ESC key, it then should bring up the start menu that has your OS's (operating systems on it) you can then choose what OS to load up.

example: after pressing the ESC key it diplays this:

Windows XP Home

Windows XP Pro

you then can choose one of those if you have a duel boot OS.

if not it will just have one operating system like this :

Windows XP Home

System Restore

Now just a note: the above system restore will be there if you have Windows backed up to a seperate partition. Most pc computer's will have this restore option instead of the CD's for backup.

Back
Top Bottom