Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Software and Operating Systems
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-02-2004, 05:54 PM   #11
Fully Optimized
 
rakedog's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 2,718
Send a message via AIM to rakedog
Default

Lord Kalthorn...not that I don't like windows, but how can you be so obssessed with it .... I mean doesn't the fact that it crashes a lot and that hackers can hack it so easily scare you? Personally open-source seems better. (If you know computer language) you can customize your OS.
__________________

rakedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 10:41 AM   #12
Guru
 
Lord Kalthorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Britain
Posts: 13,293
Send a message via MSN to Lord Kalthorn
Default Re: operating system survey

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakedog
Lord Kalthorn...not that I don't like windows, but how can you be so obssessed with it .... I mean doesn't the fact that it crashes a lot and that hackers can hack it so easily scare you? Personally open-source seems better. (If you know computer language) you can customize your OS.
I doens't crash a lot - in all my Computers I have had no crashes that wasn't a direct result of something I or my family had done to it wrong. I have never been hacked into - and even if I had then not well because nothing has been done. If I have a Virus or a piece of Spyware its because I like Free Programs; and I download stuff - yet none of these things have damaged my computer.

A determinded Programmer against Windows can cause annoyance; a determinded Programmer against Linux can destroy it; for the simple reason on Linux they know the code and therefore how it is built.

You can customize your OS? What do you want to customize on LInux that you can't customize on Windows?
__________________

__________________
A Knight is sworn to Honour. His heart knows only Virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His might upholds the Weak. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the Wicked.
Lord Kalthorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 11:23 AM   #13
Golden Master
 
135791's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: No
Posts: 5,427
Send a message via MSN to 135791
Default Re: operating system survey

i can see the porn bit being right
but the other...........
135791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 04:50 PM   #14
Fully Optimized
 
rakedog's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 2,718
Send a message via AIM to rakedog
Default

Lord Kalthorn: I do not agree with your facts:
1: Have you noticed that Linux comes with so many programs free (Audacity, OpenOffice, Apache, FTP software, about 4 times as many games (on knoppix)), and a bunch of other software for networking, serving, ect.

2. In windows, you have to reboot after every single minor update, making your server go down. (same applies to games). Not in Linux! You can practically keep up your computer running all year round.

3. You can pretty much rebuild linux to however you want, including remaking your startup menu, security features, programs browser, ect.

4. There are very few known exploits to Linux. (except for default kernal, which no one uses). And if an exploit is found, you can simply get a new kernel in several hours. (think aboout how long it takes for WINDOWS to come up with updates....theyre a couple of months behind on everything).

5. FACTOID: Most windows users mod out their desktop & login screen to look like a Linux.

rakedog
rakedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 05:04 PM   #15
Guru
 
Lord Kalthorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Britain
Posts: 13,293
Send a message via MSN to Lord Kalthorn
Default Re: operating system survey

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakedog
Lord Kalthorn: I do not agree with your facts:
1: Have you noticed that Linux comes with so many programs free (Audacity, OpenOffice, Apache, FTP software, about 4 times as many games (on knoppix)), and a bunch of other software for networking, serving, ect.
Did I say it didn't? You just pulled that one out the air. These come with it because they're free anyway - if they weren't they wouldn't just like with Windows. Often Works will come free with Windows (at least you won't notice the difference in price when you buy a PC); however - the programs like Office don't because they are about 200 and they are bloody good programs. I hardly ever play the games on Windows anyway; so four times as many would not bother me in the slightest - they're not good games anyway. In Windows Pro - Networking and Serving is built in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rakedog
2. In windows, you have to reboot after every single minor update, making your server go down. (same applies to games). Not in Linux! You can practically keep up your computer running all year round.
You can do with with Windows; very few Minor Updates need a Reboot; and even if it does it is quick. Games do not need reboot often in more recent games. With Linux - you don't update your Computer - nor indeed can you install many games; so it is not noticable. If you were able to do these things - you would need to reboot as much if not more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rakedog
3. You can pretty much rebuild linux to however you want, including remaking your startup menu, security features, programs browser, ect.
Nobody needs to do that; and if want to then they should use Linux - I did not say that people who want to do this shouldn't use Linux; you pulled that one out the the hat again
Quote:
Originally Posted by rakedog
4. There are very few known exploits to Linux. (except for default kernal, which no one uses). And if an exploit is found, you can simply get a new kernel in several hours. (think aboout how long it takes for WINDOWS to come up with updates....theyre a couple of months behind on everything).
Couple of months? Couple of Days more like - and thats only because there are so many damned twits coming up with Viruses. Linux - as I have said - faced with the number of determined Programmers trying to Hack and make Viruses would fall apart. It is numbers Linux cannot understand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rakedog
5. FACTOID: Most windows users mod out their desktop & login screen to look like a Linux.

rakedog
That there; is not a fact, however small you claim it to be. I think everybody will agree with me there. If you do not know; Most = >50%, not <1%

EDIT: Funny thing being; you said at the beginning you didn't agree with my facts - but you didn't bring anything I said before into the point.
__________________
A Knight is sworn to Honour. His heart knows only Virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His might upholds the Weak. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the Wicked.
Lord Kalthorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004, 01:43 PM   #16
Baseband Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 49
Default survey

Support: 3
Security: 6
Compatibility: 7
Stability: 10
Virus Protection: 5
Popularity: 2
Programs: 9
Easy of Install: 4
Ability to run Servers: 8

2)
What operating system do you prefer
Windows xp


3) What do you use your computer for?
EX: development
jackster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004, 05:32 PM   #17
Guru
 
Lord Kalthorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Britain
Posts: 13,293
Send a message via MSN to Lord Kalthorn
Default

Oh, development. Do you have Visual Studio.NET?
__________________

__________________
A Knight is sworn to Honour. His heart knows only Virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His might upholds the Weak. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the Wicked.
Lord Kalthorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0