Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Software and Operating Systems
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 01-29-2013, 08:43 AM   #11
Baseband Member

Default Re: Operating System Criticism

I don't use Windows XP unless there is an application that doesn't run well with Windows 7. I have an old HP laptop and It came with Vista installed, I will remember that bad experience until I pass away...

OS used to boot in 1 - 3 minutes, but even without start up applications or additional services the system gets stuck for 4 or 5 minutes. Visual studio 2008 crashed me a lot in Vista and things like that. I've been using Windows 7 since the beta 2 and I'm fine with that decision of throwing away vista.

About the UAC is fine in my opinion, all GNU/Linux distributions have something like that to prevent security issues but is way better implemented than in Windows.

Windows 8 is great in terms of performance but the user interface is more for touch screens and with a keyboard and a mouse is hard to navigate through it; I can't imagine me pointing all the time to the monitor like Phoenix Wright unless I make an artificial arm (in other words, impossible)

JackPanzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:22 PM   #12
In Runtime

^^^ Did you have Vista service packs installed?

One thing is that how fast 2 service packs came out for Vista.

Old 01-29-2013, 05:46 PM   #13
Baseband Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WYSIWUG View Post
^^^ Did you have Vista service packs installed?

One thing is that how fast 2 service packs came out for Vista.
It came without service pack, after SP1 everything got worse and the less we talk about how the SP2 worked with my old lap, the better
The performance of the OS improved a bit but still took a while to boot the OS (2 minutes or so).

I don't want to flame but for a good windows edition since Windows 98SE the next becomes a catastrophe:

- Win 98SE good
- Win ME bad
- Win XP good
- Win Vista bad
- Win 7 good
- Win 8 ...
Old 01-29-2013, 06:07 PM   #14
In Runtime

I liked Windows 98 (too young to remember 95).
Hated ME so much.
Loved XP.
Hated Vista with such passion that I don't go near it.

A friend had Vista on a mid range laptop and it froze twice and completely crashed 3 times when I was on there for about an hour.

I love Windows 7. A couple of irritants but better than XP (mostly for the intergrated stuff like backup)

As for 8 I haven't tried it and due to the OS release pattern Microsoft have, I'm not sure I want to.

This UAC in 7, how do you turn that off cause that is one thing that really does irritate me.

Mossiac
Old 01-29-2013, 07:02 PM   #15
In Runtime

Oh I still cant get over people disliking Vista, I still use it, and dont have to wait 2 mins for it load, about 45 seconds, even with updates loading at boot.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:15 PM   #16
Baseband Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossiac View Post
I liked Windows 98 (too young to remember 95).
Hated ME so much.
Loved XP.
Hated Vista with such passion that I don't go near it.

A friend had Vista on a mid range laptop and it froze twice and completely crashed 3 times when I was on there for about an hour.

I love Windows 7. A couple of irritants but better than XP (mostly for the intergrated stuff like backup)

As for 8 I haven't tried it and due to the OS release pattern Microsoft have, I'm not sure I want to.

This UAC in 7, how do you turn that off cause that is one thing that really does irritate me.

Mossiac
Go to Control Panel -> Users and accounts -> Change user account control settings

Sorry but my Windows 7 is in Spanish so I don't exactly know if those are the correct options.

About some people liking/hating vista, I thinks is just pure luck, vista in my laptop just was horrible enough to change it for Windows 7 even when it was a beta version.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:43 PM   #17
Golden Master

Some of my problems with vista are the compatibility for program's, Installing updates and they never install properly, How slow it is and the horrible interface..
BK_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:54 PM   #18
In Runtime

^^^ Never have had the above issues.

All the operating system updates install properly on my Vista (Bussines) version.

BTW, my server is Windows Server 2008 one laptop has Vista the other 3 have XP Professional SP3
Old 01-30-2013, 07:51 AM   #19
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by *= WildCat =* View Post
The only thing I would change in Windows 7 is UAC (its irritating) but then mine is switched off so I never see it
I don't find it that bad, after coming from Vista.

In fact, when Windows 7 is joined to a domain, the UAC makes life easier. No more logging the user out and logging in as an admin in order to install software or make a configuration change.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:12 PM   #20
In Runtime

When set up in a network say at work, I imagine it's quite useful. But at home and no other users on my computer, it's just annoying although it is better than the way Vista handled it.

Mossiac