Open Source - Incentives?

dominover1

Baseband Member
I had a conversation today regarding Open Source software and when I was asked what does the programmer get out of creating Open Source software I wasn't sure. I understand what it is,and I agree it's a great thing and fantastic that programmers can build and freely make available their hard work. I was just wondering if there is any gain for the programmer (besides the continual improvement by the community on their original product). Is there something else which provides an incentive for this sort of thing?

The point of open source is to get a community involved in the development and improvement of the product overall. A developer may choose to do it as a way to give back, or simply because he doesn't want to sell his product for whatever reason. :)

I think it is helpful to think of "open source" in terms of a belief more than just a type of program. Many people believe in the open source community and it's more about a "way of life". It's something the developers have always been a part of, not something they just decide to join and make software for.

I don't know how well that will sound to you guys, or if I'll get my point across acurately, but I know what I'm trying to say - sometimes I just have trouble saying it :p.

Back
Top Bottom