Old Hard Drive jumpers

buckweat420-

Baseband Member
i Have a old maxtor drive...about a gig and i gave it to a friend and installed it in his computer but i dident know how to slave it cause the jumper settings on the drive did some research and still couldent figure it out the sticker is peeled off so i dont know the numbers. any ideas? i was gonan try trial and error but id figure id ask first thanks

-Buckweat420-

are there any part numbers or letters no the drive that you could post here?

it might just be a trial and error thing!

nothing....the sticker is torn off and the upc`s are so faded u cant read them i tried the trial and error thing and got cmos errors when booting and i could see the drive but when i tried to format it it wouldent

sounds like something isn't hooked up correctly:
the jumper has to be on the correct one, since the sticker is gone...try movin it from one to the other til one of them work.

some ?'s though
1) you say your getting a cmos error:this is usally cuz something isn't hooked up right...IDE cables
2) if the jumper is set to master...there cannot be two hhd's set at master, one must b slave

I would put it back in your comp. & delete the partition for him, formatt it aslo,then give back to him so he can install OS.
3)last ? ...is he going to use this as a secondary drive
or is he using it as a master/w new OS.

if it is a secondary: then tell him to move jumpers over from one to the other.

since you said the drive can b seen in bios, and you cannot format: is because the partition made on that hhd must be set to active.

Unless you have some serious files saved there on a "1gb"you say.now you must realize what a waste of time this is.
1 gb won't support any newer Windows and is just a bit more than a cd-r disk.
:)

WEll see the computer hes putting this hard drive in is acting as a server(dont ask for what thats what he told me) and he said he needed a second hard drive so i gave it to him...lol im just trying to help out a friend

ok, cool.....
then sinse it's a secondary drive i would delete the partishion for him, format it, then give it back to him...to install.

by the way, sorry bout the spat thing...

Back
Top Bottom