Okay, I'm tired of all the biased opinions.

Zeph

Beta member
Hey'lo everybody.
I found these forums over Google today... and I come bearing a question.
The question is very simple, but yet, I cannot find the answer; all I have found is biased, unsupported filth.
My question is: Out of all the OS's out there... Mac's OS X Snow Leopard, Microsoft's Windows 7, Ubuntu, and the list goes on and on... which is the best OS, and why?
All the information out there that I can find is always clouded with the typical WINDOWS OWNZ JOO or OS X IS UBER LEET junk. I just want facts: benchmarks, experiences of users who have used more than just one OS, etc. I cannot find this information for the life of me, but I know it's out there.
Personally, I would be using the operating system for video games (playing and making [I'm majoring in Interactive Design and Game Development]). I have used ONLY Windows my entire life, so that's why I'm coming here. I've always been told that Mac OSX is great for photos, videos, etc... while Windows is the best for gaming, performance, etc... and Ubuntu and Linux and all those other lesser known OS's are just kind of... "there". I have no clue if these claims are correct, but I would really enjoy clearing these things up.
Although I assumed this topic of discussion must be pretty common, I've looked around these forums a little bit and didn't see a topic on the subject. So... if I missed the post somewhere, I'm sorry! :X

Thanks so much in advance.

which is the best OS, and why?

There is no answer to that. All you will get is opinions. It's a bit like asking which car is the best. The best thing you can do is try them all and decide for yourself which is the best for your needs and your hardware.

There is no factual evidence of which is the best because it is a subjective question in itself

for some linux is the best simply because its free and the people who support it also helped write it so you get some of the best support available
yet for other ms windows is the best just because it is what everyone else uses and there are literally millions of third party apps out there to do any task you require
yet for some again may say mac osx is the best because it has a intuitive user interface and you the hardware with it which means everything runs seamlessly
There are loads of advantages and disadvantages of each platform that i could raise that was just a sample of the advantages
My advice to you is try all theree and find out which one for you is the best as for someone else the one for them will be different

you may even find a different platform is better for different jobs for instance you might find windows better for playing and making games whereas you might find macs better for editing video etc

There is no answer to that. All you will get is opinions. It's a bit like asking which car is the best. The best thing you can do is try them all and decide for yourself which is the best for your needs and your hardware.

Yea, I reread my post after I wrote it and posted it and said "Wow, that's an opinionated question. That's dumb." Haha.

muz said:
There is no factual evidence of which is the best because it is a subjective question in itself

for some linux is the best simply because its free and the people who support it also helped write it so you get some of the best support available
yet for other ms windows is the best just because it is what everyone else uses and there are literally millions of third party apps out there to do any task you require
yet for some again may say mac osx is the best because it has a intuitive user interface and you the hardware with it which means everything runs seamlessly
There are loads of advantages and disadvantages of each platform that i could raise that was just a sample of the advantages
My advice to you is try all theree and find out which one for you is the best as for someone else the one for them will be different

you may even find a different platform is better for different jobs for instance you might find windows better for playing and making games whereas you might find macs better for editing video etc

Hrm... good point. How would you suggest I go about trying Mac's OSX on my PC? I've heard about the OSx86 project... would that be my way to go?

It's against Apple's EULA to use Mac OS X on a non Apple licensed computer. We really can't help you with that, but I hear that project is the way to go.

Yea, I reread my post after I wrote it and posted it and said "Wow, that's an opinionated question. That's dumb." Haha.

Hrm... good point. How would you suggest I go about trying Mac's OSX on my PC? I've heard about the OSx86 project... would that be my way to go?

without breaking the rules ive heard some good things about that project even though the only problem with it according to apple and some apple users is that by using tht on a pc rather than buying a mac is that you dont get the full mac experience
Try and get a friend who uses a mac to let you use it

It's against Apple's EULA to use Mac OS X on a non Apple licensed computer. We really can't help you with that, but I hear that project is the way to go.

But CF doesn't need to at all care about Apple's EULA, we are not binded by it.

Hrm, well thanks a lot for the help, everyone. I may end up giving it a shot.

Back
Top Bottom