I've had an odd problem with Windows 7; it only occurs sometimes and a simple restart fixes it, but it's happened over a couple of Windows 7 re-installations. It happens randomly, too.
These are the symptoms:
- Clicking on an application in the start bar does not focus it. You have to be able to click on the window itself to focus it, and this usually involves minimising other windows.
- Alt-Tab presents nothing. Windows+Tab does the aero peek, but when you choose another window, it does not focus it.
- Applications like to start flashing orange when you click on them in the start bar, as if they want your attention.
- Clicking the 'show desktop' button at the bottom-right stops hiding everything.
- When clicking on the action center, the mini-window appears showing that no current issues are detected. That mini-window is then impossible to get rid of unless you restart explorer.exe.
Restarting explorer.exe does not resolve the problem. I've tried closing various applications and the problem does not resolve either. All I can do is restart.