Notebook troubles

xxpbdudexx

Beta member
I am sure that you get these type of threads a dime a dozen, so I will try to make it quick.

I purchased a notebook a few months ago running Windows 7. I decided I wanted to try Ubuntu so I used a disk loaded with 10.04 that I made a while back (Ubuntu is pretty sweet, by the way). Anyway, I had a reasonable idea about what I was doing, but mid-installation I had a problem. My notebook ran out of power and shut down. Obviously, the installation was not done, so the OS was not installed, but the partition had already been resized according to my specifications (about 50 GB), so I had a new partition without an OS (it had also automatically created a swap partition, which I am not sure what that means). I suspect that this is when I should have first requested external assistance. :p

Anyway, I reopened the trial version and went into GParted and deleted the Ubuntu partition and swap partitions, making it unallocated. The crux of my problem is this: I also inadvertently deleted the Windows 7 Loader partition. Upon realizing this, my first priority, then, was obviously getting 7 running again. I tried many different options that I came across, but ultimately, I had to do a clean install of Windows 7 from an installation disk I had.

After that, I reinstalled many of my drivers (I had to download the drivers for the wireless card on another computer that had internet, and then I downloaded many of the rest through Windows Update). So, thinking I had everything properly working, I decided to reinstall Ubuntu in order to have both 7 and Ubuntu.

And then here is my current problem... the Windows 7 reinstallation seems to have wiped my partition table. I no longer have any partitions, just all of my files on the main HD. I am, by no means, an expert at computer-related problems, but this strikes me as rather bizarre.

So, really, my only question is, what options do I have? I could write a new partition table, but apparently that would delete the entire C drive and then I would have no clue what to do after that regardless.

I would like to forgo ordering a System Recovery CD as long as possible (it costs $20 from Gateway), but if that is what is necessary, that is what I will do.

One more thing I wanted to know, would rewriting a new partition table and reformatting C drive delete things like the BIOS and other items not included in the windows installation? I can reinstall Windows as many times as I need to but if that stuff goes, I'm screwed.

Oh yes, my system is an all stock Gateway NV55C Notebook, if that is relevant information. Also, the Windows CD I have only installs 32-bit Windows whereas my system shipped 64-bit. So I am currently running 32-bit Windows 7.

Um, any ideas?

When installing Ubuntu you will be presented with the option of resizing the disk and ultimately have both on your system. However, when installing windows 7 on a unformated drive it will often create two partition a 100MB partition for important windows files and one for your system. That could be causing your problem. Also, it was quite silly of you to install a OS on battery. :p

When installing Ubuntu you will be presented with the option of resizing the disk and ultimately have both on your system. However, when installing windows 7 on a unformated drive it will often create two partition a 100MB partition for important windows files and one for your system. That could be causing your problem. Also, it was quite silly of you to install a OS on battery. :p
Yes, silly, I know.

My problem, then, must be that Windows did not create the partitions it usually does. The Hard Drive was formatted when I reinstalled Windows, but apparently the reinstallation was what wiped it. When I proceeded to install Ubuntu the second time after I reinstalled Windows and downloaded my drivers, Wubi indicated that my entire HD was unallocated space. As such, it only gave me the option of deleting Windows OS and installing Ubuntu as the only OS, partitioning the entire drive to Ubuntu, or manually specifying partitions (which, in my case, means reformatting the drive and thus deleting everything off of it). There was no option to run Ubuntu alongside Windows with Ubuntu in its own partition like there usually is.

When partitioning the drive. Try clearing the MBR completely first. Often in a decent partition editor program there will be a clear MBR option or new MBR. Then redo your partitions.

This situation is resolved. Thanks BrokenAtari. What I ended up doing was downloading a Windows 7 64 bit installation CD. I then reformatted the C drive and deleted all partitions present. Lastly, I reinstalled Windows and it recreated the partition table. I also reinstalled Ubuntu to make sure it works, and everything is fine.

Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom