Newly attached HDDs dont show in Windows Vista

postcd

Banned
Hello,

i have an Icy HDD Dock bays in which i can attach de-attach HDDs at anytime.

But in Windows Vista, newly attached HDDs (when attached after WIndows bootup), they dont show in system even i go to Manage this computer, Storage, and select to search for new drives (i have it written in non english name, so im not sure how that option is named in english), then refresh.

So if HDDs are not attached before WIndows start, they dont show up. Maybe its old HDD. But can i please anyhow go around this so any HDD show up in windows, any manual work around?

thank you

Well SATA is hot-plug capable, and USB and eSATA are hotplug by default.

Can't help but have a crack at Vista first... wha ta god-awful load of rubbish that was!

Helpful response: check in BIOS and make sure that SATA hotplug is enabled in SATA/storage config?

I agree with atomic, that's a good start, if it's set to IDE/Legacy then it wouldn't work at all.

The second port of call is checking you've installed the latest SATA/AHCI drivers for your motherboard, if your SATA controller is compatible with "hotswap," then installing drivers will likely fix the problem.

You have to mount the drive in the drive manager.

Maybe I'm reading too much into this but I'm getting the idea that this is what they are trying to do.

So let's try this step by step and we can ignore english translations for a bit to

In the Vista Search/Run section on the Start Menu type "diskmgmt.msc" and press enter. It will bring up the windows Disk Management utility where you can initialize, mount and format new drives. Then in the action menu, click "Rescan Disks". Refresh typically does not work (at least for me).

Back
Top Bottom