Need help with Windows 7

doritos

Baseband Member
hey guys, I was wondering if there was anyway I could get windows 7 off the laptop i'm using onto the new Build I'm planning to assemble.

I'm not really willing to pay 100$ on a copy of windows as it adds a lot of money onto the final price of my build. Is there any way I could burn a copy of it from this laptop that has windows 7 currently In it?

I already have a windows 7 ISO file but I just need to know, IS there any way that I can Install windows 7 with multiple CDs?

lets say I have 8 700mb cd-r disks, can I install windows 7 in arts into those and then boot windows 7 from those?

Or what if I have 1 2gb usb flash drive. could I install part one on there, install that into my new build(which doesn't have an OS installed)then when thats done, come back to this PC and get the rest of win7 on the flash drive, and go and install the second part

thanks

on your new build you will be prompted for a new serial key. as all the hardware ect will built around that key and installed on that laptop only u wont be able to RIP microsoft windows 7 and + that would be illegal to do so best chance you have is take the laptop hard drive out stick that in your new machine but even then setting will be wrong ect. you will indeed need to buy a fresh install of windows 7 on your new machine im afraid.

A Win 7 ISO would be an image of a DVD. Why would you want to break it up into CDs, do you only have a CD drive? I suppose it would be possible to put all the files on separate CDs but too much work as far as I'm concerned.

I personally wouldn't trust a Win 7 ISO I downloaded off some pirate site on the web. Too much chance to wind up with malware and viruses.

Bottom line though is that you're going to need a Product Key in order to activate the OS on your new computer and you will probably need to pay the $100 or so for it. If you don't want to spend the money, consider installing a Linux distro which you can legally download from the web.

i never used it before but it shud be fine, you could even make a bootable usb image it wud save you having to burn to disk

Easus has a free program to copy a disk sector by sector to match the original and create bootable disks based on your current computer configuration. Free Download Data Recovery Software, Data Backup Software and Partition Manager Software - EaseUS
The problem is your software will detect a new hardware setup and will most likely not let you run it. You can call microsoft as in some instances they will give you codes to unlock it, although your chances are slim, since they mainly only allow that for replacing hardware on the same computer. If you change a lot of hardware the system will consider it a new computer and require you to call. You can always try it and it may boot anyways, I have read posts where it was done before, but i do not remember what version of windows was used.

I am not completely sure if you can do this, but you could go out and get a cheap external hard drive with the same capacity or greater and make a bootable copy onto your external, then copy everything to your other computer. We've done this on the Macs in our home, not sure if PC can work the same way. :)

This discussion is software piracy, FYI.

You cannot run an established version of Windows 7 on another PC on a new PC unless you paid for the retail boxed copy. OEM copies are single system installs, and won't be able to run on a new system no matter the tricks you try and pull.

OEM is a steal at $100. Otherwise you'd have to pay upwards of $250-$300 for a copy that would let you install it on any system.

Yah, always best to just fork over the bucks and get it done with, alot less hassles in the future, and with disks you can always reinstall when the system gets cruded up.

Back
Top Bottom