Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Software and Operating Systems
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-15-2012, 02:56 PM   #11
Fully Optimized
 
jmacavali's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 4,867
Default Re: Need help with win7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1computeroutlet View Post
We have done it 1,000's of times at our store. Sorry you disbelieve. Microsoft will allow you to re-activate on a new motherboard. Circumstances such as an act of God (Electrical strike) do not warrant pruchasing another copy of windows. I would not post something that wasn't true or that I have not done myself...

Wholesale Computer Outlet, LLC - Computer Parts, Laptops, Electronics, HDTVs, Digital Cameras and More! Home page
Actually in this case its true. I've also done it many times. If you replace hardware (IE a motherboard or hard drive) you can use the same product key. If you're lucky you can get it to activate online, if not you just call them and they'll ask why and when you said hardware change, they'll give you a code to use.


Back on topic, what the OP wants to do isn't possible.
__________________

__________________
****************************************
Don't take life too seriously -- no one gets out alive. Plus, who wants to arrive to the hereafter in pristine condition wearing a suit and tie?
I want to slide in sideways, worn out, used up, hair a mess, clothes tattered, & screaming, "Whooo! What a ride!"
****************************************
jmacavali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:00 PM   #12
Daemon Poster
 
Hameister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 887
Default Re: Need help with win7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1computeroutlet View Post
We have done it 1,000's of times at our store. Sorry you disbelieve. Microsoft will allow you to re-activate on a new motherboard. Circumstances such as an act of God (Electrical strike) do not warrant pruchasing another copy of windows. I would not post something that wasn't true or that I have not done myself...

REMOVED LINK
OK, here is where I believe there may be a misunderstanding. I'll try to make myself clear.

I have on numerous occasions, built a new machine, with completely different hardware, using a different motherboard, and was able to use the same copy of Win7. Nothing difficult, or illegal about it. AS LONG AS THAT PRODUCT CODE IS ONLY USED ON ONE COMPUTER AT A TIME.

The OP says he doesn't want to spend any money for another copy of Win7 for a new computer he just built. He wants to use the same copy of Win7 that he has on his original machine. That's what I am saying is illegal. Microsoft is not going to activate the same product code on two different machines at the same time. If that were true, I could build a machine for myself, and one for my next door neighbor, and just buy one copy of Win7 for both computers. Am I clear now?
__________________

__________________
HAF 932 Advanced / Corsair AX1200 / Asus Rampage IV Extreme / i7-3930K / H100 Cooling 4x120mm
16GB Corsair DDR3 / GTX 580x2 SLI + GTX 460 PhysX / SSDs Mushkin 240GB, Crucial 256GB, Crucial 512GB
Hameister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:18 PM   #13
Daemon Poster
 
rowcon123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: England
Posts: 765
Default

That's much more clear now thank you I was a little confused thanks man
rowcon123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:22 PM   #14
Daemon Poster
 
Hameister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 887
Default Re: Need help with win7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowcon123 View Post
That's much more clear now thank you I was a little confused thanks man
You're very welcome.
__________________
HAF 932 Advanced / Corsair AX1200 / Asus Rampage IV Extreme / i7-3930K / H100 Cooling 4x120mm
16GB Corsair DDR3 / GTX 580x2 SLI + GTX 460 PhysX / SSDs Mushkin 240GB, Crucial 256GB, Crucial 512GB
Hameister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 03:00 AM   #15
MMM
Daemon Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: !!
Posts: 699
Default Re: Need help with win7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hameister View Post
Sorry, I have to disagree.

Even if you used the same, identical motherboard on another machine. You'd never get through on-line, or telephone activation, with the other hardware variances. It would be obvious that the same Product Code was being used on two computers.

Not only that, even if were possible, it is still illegal to do that. Since you are in the computer hardware business, I'm a little surprised.
You will be quite surprised on how many businesses actually install software by imaging it and then activating it with relevant licence.
MMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:27 AM   #16
Daemon Poster
 
rowcon123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: England
Posts: 765
Default

So could I run it on both cuz I was going to give the laptop to my bro
rowcon123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:40 AM   #17
Baseband Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 27
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hameister

OK, here is where I believe there may be a misunderstanding. I'll try to make myself clear.

I have on numerous occasions, built a new machine, with completely different hardware, using a different motherboard, and was able to use the same copy of Win7. Nothing difficult, or illegal about it. AS LONG AS THAT PRODUCT CODE IS ONLY USED ON ONE COMPUTER AT A TIME.

The OP says he doesn't want to spend any money for another copy of Win7 for a new computer he just built. He wants to use the same copy of Win7 that he has on his original machine. That's what I am saying is illegal. Microsoft is not going to activate the same product code on two different machines at the same time. If that were true, I could build a machine for myself, and one for my next door neighbor, and just buy one copy of Win7 for both computers. Am I clear now?
In this case, I agree with you. You can move a hard drive from one machine to another with the same chipset, different board. The license can only be on one machine. You can image and change the key before activating. As a builder, we image after creating a load and than change it to the correct key, then activate before the end user receives the machine. I was not encouraging piracy. I assumed the old Dell was no longer being used. If its not and you just want the same information on both machines, just buy an additional license and activate it. Technically, any other programs would either have to have a multi user license or require repurchase. I was thinking from the perspective of a needed repair where a customer did not want to lose information or re-install everything.
__________________

1computeroutlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0