Need help! please, bout xp 64

pballjunkie4lif

Beta member
OK, i was going to install windows xp 64 on my computer, but in the system requirements my proccesor wasnt listed but it is a farily new proccesor, its a AMD Semphron, so can someone tell me if Xp 64 will still work on my computer? and if its actually worth upgradeing from regular xp.

xp 64 is designed for 64bit chips

and there is no point what so ever upgrading as there are very few drivers programs etc that will work with it

Yeah, if it's a 64-bit CPU, Windows XP 64-bit should work. But again, let me reinforce the downside to the X64:

-64 bit kernel cannot use 32 bit drivers, obviously, so hardware support is slight at best

-Practically have to build your system around what hardware it supports from either natively or 3rd party sources.

-Most programs won't run much faster than most people would like at this time

-Completely 64 bit programs are awhile coming - very few available at this time

-Microsoft seems more interested in Vista at the moment

-Performs poorly with 64 bit AMD processors, and older P4 64 bit CPUs.

-Pentium D CPU seems to work best (more expensive)

-Very poor driver support/availability

-Some 32bit programs simply will not run - especially antivirus programs

-Many web related bugs and incompatibilities. Active X, for example, won't work. Possiblr conflicts with Flash or Java as well.

Positives are:

-Internal OS system functions much, much faster

-More efficient use of ram - especially if you have more than 1 GB

-Encoding, transcoding various formats is much faster, even with 32 bit programs because of better memory usage

-New 64 bit kernel makes it somewhat less virus prone

-64 Bit hardware drivers

-Looks and acts just like standard XP edition

-64 bit version of Firefox available

-Very stable

135791 said:
xp 64 is designed for 64bit chips

and there is no point what so ever upgrading as there are very few drivers programs etc that will work with it
I have posted this link on this forum quite a few times. Here a list of all the x64 BIT DRIVERS. All the hardware that needs a driver to work on my Win XP x64, I sourced from this list. :D

More research is needed on your part Adam, before you make a blanket statement like that...

Back
Top Bottom