Need help!

Guitarplaya84

Beta member
OK so I am fairly computer literate. I have been around computers all my life and know enough. But now I am taking on a bigger task and could use some help. Here is what I am dealing with.

My wife and I are going to be running a Christian school this next year at the church. We are going with a curriculum that is online based and live streaming. System requirements are going to be 1mb for each computer connected at the same time. No problem looking at 8mb-12mb speeds.

Equipment
We currently have donated
4 computers with win98se and 4 with win2000pro.

Now the specs on the computer are obviously not the greatest. And since these systems will not run win7 I am looking for another option.

It is my understanding that xp is not sold anymore. Three of the computers with 2000pr have xp auth codes on them and one of the auth codes is missing the last 5 characters. So I can upgrade 2 of the 3 to xp. I highly doubt we are even going to be using the computers with 98.

Now I am trying to see if there is a FREE OS out there that is light and user friendly that I could put on these systems that are going to be used for internet only. I have found several out there but am only familiar with win and mac. Unsure of linux and others. I am wanting to find an OS that is VERY basic. I need internet and sound and that is about it. If it can run word or similar great if not I will have a separate system for that. Any help you can give is appreciated.

Xubuntu running the xfce gui. Would be pretty basic and user friendly. You can install the openoffice suite on it. Debian is a bit more involved. However, you can choose a lightweight gui.

I agree here i think if your looking at Linux then a version of Ubuntu will be the way to go.
I've played with it literally once or twice and it is simple enough to find the we browser and navigate your way around.

Of course most operating systems when compared with windows will feel "foreign" to a young school child but given a small amount of guidance i'm sure they will find their way in no time!

anyone have a link for the lightest version of ubuntu? i downloaded the 10.4 i think and have it on a disc ready to go but if someone has a better idea

hmmm. looking at that link i am not seeing anywhere to select xfce or anywhere to "login". could you please be more specific? lol thnx

Back
Top Bottom