Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Software and Operating Systems
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 11-13-2015, 05:26 AM   #1
In Runtime

Default Is my problem Windows 10 related?

Hi folks, I have recently done an upgrade to Windows 10 from 8.1 pro and now my pc seems unbelievably slow in every way.

Is it possible that W10 has caused this?

My next move following the upgrade is to do a 'Clean Install', is it likely that this might sort things out for me?

bluenose1940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 08:40 AM   #2
In Runtime

Default Re: Is my problem Windows 10 related?

I know some will disagree with this but I always always do a clean install. As a trial I will do an upgrade if I can as this is easier to do but if I like what I'm trialing I will then wipe my computer and do a clean install. If I then, subsequently, find that I don't actually like the "upgrade" then I will clean install my old OS.

Obviously I have no idea whether clean installing Win 10 will sort things out for you but it is a reasonable bet that if everything was okay before the "upgrade" then it should be as good, if not better, after. So in theory a clean install should sort things out. But this is Windows 10 so who knows. Try it and see.

pete.i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 09:51 AM   #3
Fully Optimized

I believe there is a strong possibility that a clean install will make things right. Throughout Windows history a clean install has always been the best way to install a new version.
strollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 11:46 AM   #4
In Runtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenose1940 View Post
Hi folks, I have recently done an upgrade to Windows 10 from 8.1 pro and now my pc seems unbelievably slow in every way.

Is it possible that W10 has caused this?

My next move following the upgrade is to do a 'Clean Install', is it likely that this might sort things out for me?
it will definitely will strait things up,i tried to use the Upgrade but all i had was trouble then did full clean install and everything got in place.
frank55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 01:01 PM   #5
Fully Optimized

Have you tried checking for startup items that could be slowing it down? Open Task Manager and select the "Startup" tab. Focus on items that are rated for "High" startup impact, and disable any you don't need. Reboot and see if there's improvement.

You could also try doing a "refresh" before a complete reinstall.

Go to Start > Settings > Update & security > Recovery. Then you have two options: "Keep My Files" or "Remove Everything."

You should make sure you have everything important backed up before trying either one.
The second option is essentially the same as a reinstall. (And you'll also need to reinstall your programs if you choose it.)
crazyman143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 06:10 PM   #6
Baseband Member

I agree with Pete.i. If everything was fine beforehand, and it's acting all wonky after the install, it was most likely the upgrade that caused the problems. It's the most likely culprit.

Jahzara is offline   Reply With Quote