My desktop Icons keep relocating arranging themselves

stevethebrain

In Runtime
My desktop Icons keep relocating arranging themselves

I have many folders on my desktop all arranged in order when I right click DT
View/auto arrange is unchecked.

I have wasted hours of time trying to resolve this unpleasant issues windows 7.

I use this lap top as a LT and also plug into a 27" TV display w/VGA cable I believe the TV has differnt resolution creates the unwanted extra foulup from MS.

thanks bill gates

Please advice STB

Last edited:
I face this problem when I change games to smaller resolution than the desktop's on my two monitor setup. Do you do that too? My desktop has only eight objects tho so rearranging them does not annoy me. To avoid that I only have to only use the desktop's resolution in games.

But if it is just your two different screens causing this, try setting the video card to use the same resolution on both in a way that the other screen uses that resolution when you reconnect the laptop to it. Maybe setting the TV to the same resolution before disconnecting the laptop should make it start on the same resolution when reconnected.

My solution is simple: I have no icons on my desktops. The main programs I use are pinned to the taskbar and all the other desktop shortcuts are in a pinned folder on the taskbar. The only things on the desktop are three widgets (weather, clock/calendar, CPU usage).

Just a personal thing. I hate a cluttered screen.

I'm accustomed to organizing folders on my desktop, usually use 3/4s or 2/3th of screen. am starting to ween myself to pinning, I only have programs pinned.
So would prefer to continue using DT.
the optimum resolution for LT 15" monitor is set at 1366 X 768 recommended
the optimum resolution for TV 27" monitor is set at 1920 X 1080 recommended
I have attempted to switch res. From 1920 x 1080 down to 1366 X 768 just before unplugging TV
This warning appears.
If you resolution is less than 1600 x 1200 some icons won't be displayed which is true
Like when I configure LT to lower res. A good amount of icon aren't displayed.

Next attempted workaround will be the one folder concept. Create a DT icon folder.

I welcome any folder/file organizing methods.

I can't believe this crape been using Win7 for well over 7 years and I just now this morning clicked the 2 tiny arrows next to desktop pointing to left and all the DT folders/files pop up and there even alphbetized so I may be using a combonation of DT/taskbar pinning/ and the tiny arrows

Thanks STB

Attachments

• dt icons.jpg
    dt icons.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Here's mine. I still have another drive I need to pin but meh.

Attachments

• Desktop-3-15.jpg
    Desktop-3-15.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 7
I go even further than you do Trotter. I have NO icons whatsoever on my desktop and I spend exactly zero time ever looking at my desktop. I have everything organized in folders on my desktop then remove the checkmark next to the Show desktop icons option. I then create a desktop toolbar that allows me to access everything on my desktop without ever going to the desktop.

Last edited:
Here is my desktop:
29313843_1676179965804093_4964065386162028544_o.jpg

And it can be revised even further.

I'm on two physical screens so I colored the background in this screenshot to know the setup and the pointer-passing borders. I really use pitch black background. The one on the right is the main that plays full screen presentations like games and videos. The one on the left is to monitor progress of what ever, including the remaining time of the media. It also helps to use the Task Manager should something freezes on the main screen and refuses to let even the Task Manager come on top. Helps with games that freeze and give the impression the whole computer froze.

But anyway, this number of objects on the desktop does not bother me getting rearranged since the sorting is not important. The icons are easy to recognize.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom