My computer is commiting scuicide (plz read i need help)

PCs_ForTheWin

Baseband Member
ok, im running a partition or Windows xp pro on a 250 GB harddrive, its only like 2 years old, however in partition magig v8.0 it says i have a BAD hdd. i open up command propt and type Chkdsk. then, explorer quits, and windows spams me with "theirs a hard error"
no info...or anything just spamming popups on where the system tray should be. then it starts spamming windows that cascade alll acrosed my screen to fast to close. then internet dies, then my computer dies... im using this same computer now, but partition magic v8.0 still says its a BAD hdd. im scared to try chkdsk again...i fear my HDD is toast. is this true? what can i do?

ok, i tryed to boot in safe mode but the startup where it shows all the drivers being loaded stopped at acpitabl.dat...
so i restarted back to normal mode and it actually started the cheack disk on start-up so i let that run. however, i dont know if a log was created and if it was, i dont know where its at. ill snoop my HDD for a bit to try and find it... partition magic still says BAD...thats all the news iv'e got so far.

Hmm,

Do you know what brand your hardrive is? It's best to test your hardrive with the tools the hardrive manufacturers have on offer.

Does the hardrive make any clicking or ticking noises at all?

Windows XP Proffesional 32-Bit (x86)
im not sure if it did because it restarted to fast it didnt give me time to read the last bit...
to better clarify, i watched it do 3 different verification things, then 5 lines of words popped up, then it restarted...
the fast reastart may be because in my BIOS i have somthing set about automatic reastart being on. id have to check to know for sure...
their are no ticking noises, or anything really...i cant hear it (its not a "scilent" drive)
umm lets see, brand...let me find out..

ok no brand known yet but big news
i KNOW this is a 250 GB HDD; disk defragmetor says its only 156 GB. this is where i freak out (WTF IS HAPPENING!!!!)

Go to Control Panel, Computer Management , Local Disks (Or Disk Management, quoting from memory and bear with me :) ) and it'll show you various partition info, sounds like your partitions aren't setup right.

Try the above first ^

There could be a few things that I can think of, but whatever the situation...

Get your data off that drive asap!

#1. I have an external 250GB and for the longest time, I was unable to access it. The drive would not show up under windows and any partitioning software that I owned at the time would just tell me that the drive is unusable or couldn't be recognized. This went on until I reinstalled Windows 7. For some reason, unbeknownst to me, that solved the issue. I don't know how badly you want to do a reinstallation and I seriously doubt this is the issue, but it's an option before trashing the drive.

#2. Update the drivers. Yes I know there's really no hard drive drivers out there and it's really unheard of to go and update the drivers, but see if you can get some from the Manufacturers site and update them.

#3. You're harddrive is indeed failing :( Get the data off and replace her.

ok, ill do that in one second...but this is the log i got from trying to make a backup of my system
Code:
Backup Status
Operation: Backup
Active backup destination: File
Media name: "Backup.bkf created 8/29/2010 at 7:41 AM"
Error returned while creating the volume shadow copy:Catastrophic failure
Aborting Backup.
The operation did not successfully complete.
ill edit this with the info you want in one second
heres an image of what i saw in the disk manegment_and to my surpries, it says i have an unused partition. how the hell that got their idk; but its their...
http://www.mediafire.com/?41y7zcut3sur959
that is the link to the screenshot i got...

Hmm, Im unsure as to wether or not your hardrive is actually failling but just in case i'd just try to copy all of your important stuff onto an external hardrive/cds/flashdrives.

Back
Top Bottom