.MTS files won't play after I recovered them from being deleted.

Jake22

Baseband Member
By accident, I just deleted some .MTS video files from my vacation to Yellowstone, but then used a program to get them all back. I got them all back, but a few of them won't open (they might be corrupted). I can open most of the files but some of them just won't open up or play. I also noticed that the file sizes are about the same, so I was wondering if there is some way to repair these files so that they would play. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

When it comes to corrupted files, it really is a case by case thing. You could try to play the files with another player; try some recovery software applications and see if one works for you; or you could see help from professional recovery service, which is usually very costly.

If it still has the .MTS extension and you have the right codec installed to play it then nab GomEncoder and try to convert it to another format. If the encoder squawks about the file being unreadable then the file is too far gone.

Not to rub salt in a wound, but investing in an external hard drive is not a bad idea. I've got a Western Digital Passport 500 gig that has held up to some abuse that would kill other brands. Around $100.00usd maybe less. Depends on where you get it. And it's powered off the USB port so no wall wart.
Make a copy on your internal drive and one for archiving on the external drive.

Back
Top Bottom