MS Office Product Key

hitmanwa

Baseband Member
Just want to make sure I'm not doing anything illegal. I bought and put Office 2010 on 1 computer at home. Can I save $60 or so and install it onto another computer using the same discs but a different product key I bought at New Egg?

Thanks,

Yes, so long as the product key is for the same exact version (such as Pro) and neither the product key nor media are "OEM".

Yes.

And the advice above is wrong. you can use the media if it's OEM.

you can also use the media if you've got retail disc, and have just bought an OEM license.

OEM is original equipment manufacturer, and basically allows for a cheaper license to be bought to install on a brand new system, the only restrictions to this license that different from normal manufacture is that it has to be bought either with an entirely new system, or with critical parts to make a system.
and the OEM applies to the license key.
The media is the same, so it wouldn't make any sense to restrict the media and key if you bought a retail key without media!

Whilst you have to buy a new computer, (or crucial parts) to get an OEM license, you still retain the ability to move that installation to another PC. (provided that you only have the ability to use one copy of the program at one time).

So if you've bought a computer from a shop, and bought an OEM windows 7 license with it. if that computer falls out of a window, or is otherwise rendered unusable, then you can transfer that license to a new different PC regardless of whether this meets the criteria to buy an OEM license at the time that you buy this machine, (for example you can't buy an OEM license when buying a second hand computer).

OldSchoolPC, that's the second time you've given completely inaccurate advice regarding licensing. I would suggest that you actually read the EULA agreements and license terms before offering advice again. (they are freely available on the MS website).

Thanks guys, really appreciate the info. Regarding the OEM for Windows 7, I thought it was assigned to your motherboard and if that motherboard failed you had to call MS and get "permission" to reinstall 7 as long as it was the same model motherboard. Thanks for clearing that up though.

Back
Top Bottom