MNGBOOT missing

hobby_guy1

Baseband Member
Hey guys I don't really remember if it was mngboot or something like I'm not at home and I dont have internet at home, so I took out the hard drive and format it and when I put the hdd back and I try and install window xp again it say that mngboot is missing. I don't know if you need the info of the desktop but is a dell optiplex gx260 running xp well thank you for your help in advance and if I forgot any info sorry. :)

I think you mean to say BOOTMGR...

I have seen this problem, but it's been a while since I had to fix it on an XP machine. At work, we just replace grumpy PC's and then re-image the crap ones later.

I think this is how to fix this problem, but again, it's been a while.

Boot from the XP CD and then select the recovery console during setup. Select the version of windows and when you get to a command prompt type:

chkdsk *: /f/r

You use the wildcard because when setup loads, the temp drive is assigned the C letter, so running the chkdsk on C isn't going to do you any good.

While the above usually fixes it, I have run into scenarios where it didn't. In that case, you need to get a hold of a Windows Vista/7 CD. On there, you will find the "bootmgr" file. It will not be found by XP unless it's in all caps. You cannot rename it to all caps without renaming it to something completely different first. So, you have to take the drive and copy the "BOOTMGR" file to it, overwriting the one there and all should be good.

I think you mean to say BOOTMGR...

I have seen this problem, but it's been a while since I had to fix it on an XP machine. At work, we just replace grumpy PC's and then re-image the crap ones later.

I think this is how to fix this problem, but again, it's been a while.

Boot from the XP CD and then select the recovery console during setup. Select the version of windows and when you get to a command prompt type:

chkdsk *: /f/r

You use the wildcard because when setup loads, the temp drive is assigned the C letter, so running the chkdsk on C isn't going to do you any good.

While the above usually fixes it, I have run into scenarios where it didn't. In that case, you need to get a hold of a Windows Vista/7 CD. On there, you will find the "bootmgr" file. It will not be found by XP unless it's in all caps. You cannot rename it to all caps without renaming it to something completely different first. So, you have to take the drive and copy the "BOOTMGR" file to it, overwriting the one there and all should be good.

Hello I try to put the window xp installer but it won't work it just goes to the same black screen that Bootmgr is missing. Thanks for replying :)

You may need to boot from a Linux live disc and copy the bootmgr file over to the root drive.

Hello I try to put the window xp installer but it won't work it just goes to the same black screen that Bootmgr is missing. Thanks for replying :)

Tap the F8 key on startup and select to boot from your CD drive using the arrow keys and enter

When it says click any key to boot from CD/DVD, tap any key you want, space or enter is usually the easiest.

The XP installation CD will then load.

EDIT: Before anyone else posts advice like the guys have above, I'd like to point out that there is NOTHING on his Harddrive as he's already formatted it, so of course it won't work, all he needs to do is boot from the CD, the machine just isn't set up to boot from CD.

Tap the F8 key on startup and select to boot from your CD drive using the arrow keys and enter

When it says click any key to boot from CD/DVD, tap any key you want, space or enter is usually the easiest.

The XP installation CD will then load.

EDIT: Before anyone else posts advice like the guys have above, I'd like to point out that there is NOTHING on his Harddrive as he's already formatted it, so of course it won't work, all he needs to do is boot from the CD, the machine just isn't set up to boot from CD.

Hi I thought no one was gonna help me anymore, I have try that opinion before but I read that press F8 repeatedly before the logo shows up but unfortunate it didn't work. And thank you for your reply. :)

As you click the power button, watch the screen, see if it says anything like 'Boot Mananger' or 'Boot devices' or similar, and it should tell you what key to press.

Whats the model of your PC?

As you click the power button, watch the screen, see if it says anything like 'Boot Mananger' or 'Boot devices' or similar, and it should tell you what key to press.

Whats the model of your PC?

Hello well my pc is a dell optiplex gx 260 and about the boot manager button is F12 thank you, :)

Back
Top Bottom