Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Software and Operating Systems
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-31-2012, 01:27 PM   #1
Baseband Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 23
Smile MNGBOOT missing

Hey guys I don't really remember if it was mngboot or something like I'm not at home and I dont have internet at home, so I took out the hard drive and format it and when I put the hdd back and I try and install window xp again it say that mngboot is missing. I don't know if you need the info of the desktop but is a dell optiplex gx260 running xp well thank you for your help in advance and if I forgot any info sorry.
__________________

hobby_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 02:11 AM   #2
..m.0,0.m..
Site Team
 
iPwn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 3,870
Default Re: MNGBOOT missing

I think you mean to say BOOTMGR...

I have seen this problem, but it's been a while since I had to fix it on an XP machine. At work, we just replace grumpy PC's and then re-image the crap ones later.

I think this is how to fix this problem, but again, it's been a while.

Boot from the XP CD and then select the recovery console during setup. Select the version of windows and when you get to a command prompt type:

chkdsk *: /f/r

You use the wildcard because when setup loads, the temp drive is assigned the C letter, so running the chkdsk on C isn't going to do you any good.

While the above usually fixes it, I have run into scenarios where it didn't. In that case, you need to get a hold of a Windows Vista/7 CD. On there, you will find the "bootmgr" file. It will not be found by XP unless it's in all caps. You cannot rename it to all caps without renaming it to something completely different first. So, you have to take the drive and copy the "BOOTMGR" file to it, overwriting the one there and all should be good.
__________________

__________________
Me: You'd think as the dominant species we wouldn't be so effing stupid.
J: We're just intelligent enough to be completely effing stupid.
iPwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 04:18 PM   #3
Baseband Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 23
Smile Re: MNGBOOT missing

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPwn View Post
I think you mean to say BOOTMGR...

I have seen this problem, but it's been a while since I had to fix it on an XP machine. At work, we just replace grumpy PC's and then re-image the crap ones later.

I think this is how to fix this problem, but again, it's been a while.

Boot from the XP CD and then select the recovery console during setup. Select the version of windows and when you get to a command prompt type:

chkdsk *: /f/r

You use the wildcard because when setup loads, the temp drive is assigned the C letter, so running the chkdsk on C isn't going to do you any good.

While the above usually fixes it, I have run into scenarios where it didn't. In that case, you need to get a hold of a Windows Vista/7 CD. On there, you will find the "bootmgr" file. It will not be found by XP unless it's in all caps. You cannot rename it to all caps without renaming it to something completely different first. So, you have to take the drive and copy the "BOOTMGR" file to it, overwriting the one there and all should be good.
Hello I try to put the window xp installer but it won't work it just goes to the same black screen that Bootmgr is missing. Thanks for replying
hobby_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 08:00 PM   #4
..m.0,0.m..
Site Team
 
iPwn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 3,870
Default

You may need to boot from a Linux live disc and copy the bootmgr file over to the root drive.
__________________
Me: You'd think as the dominant species we wouldn't be so effing stupid.
J: We're just intelligent enough to be completely effing stupid.
iPwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 11:17 PM   #5
Baseband Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 23
Smile Re: MNGBOOT missing

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPwn View Post
You may need to boot from a Linux live disc and copy the bootmgr file over to the root drive.
Hello and where can I get a cd like that or could I get it from a computer if so what file do I go to copy it.
hobby_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 05:14 AM   #6
Fully Optimized
 
joedaman633's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: England, Birmingham
Posts: 1,812
Default Re: MNGBOOT missing

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobby_guy View Post
Hello I try to put the window xp installer but it won't work it just goes to the same black screen that Bootmgr is missing. Thanks for replying
Tap the F8 key on startup and select to boot from your CD drive using the arrow keys and enter

When it says click any key to boot from CD/DVD, tap any key you want, space or enter is usually the easiest.

The XP installation CD will then load.

EDIT: Before anyone else posts advice like the guys have above, I'd like to point out that there is NOTHING on his Harddrive as he's already formatted it, so of course it won't work, all he needs to do is boot from the CD, the machine just isn't set up to boot from CD.
joedaman633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:16 AM   #7
Baseband Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 23
Smile Re: MNGBOOT missing

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedaman633 View Post
Tap the F8 key on startup and select to boot from your CD drive using the arrow keys and enter

When it says click any key to boot from CD/DVD, tap any key you want, space or enter is usually the easiest.

The XP installation CD will then load.

EDIT: Before anyone else posts advice like the guys have above, I'd like to point out that there is NOTHING on his Harddrive as he's already formatted it, so of course it won't work, all he needs to do is boot from the CD, the machine just isn't set up to boot from CD.
Hi I thought no one was gonna help me anymore, I have try that opinion before but I read that press F8 repeatedly before the logo shows up but unfortunate it didn't work. And thank you for your reply.
hobby_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:20 AM   #8
Fully Optimized
 
joedaman633's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: England, Birmingham
Posts: 1,812
Default Re: MNGBOOT missing

As you click the power button, watch the screen, see if it says anything like 'Boot Mananger' or 'Boot devices' or similar, and it should tell you what key to press.

Whats the model of your PC?
joedaman633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 12:59 PM   #9
Baseband Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 23
Smile Re: MNGBOOT missing

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedaman633 View Post
As you click the power button, watch the screen, see if it says anything like 'Boot Mananger' or 'Boot devices' or similar, and it should tell you what key to press.

Whats the model of your PC?
Hello well my pc is a dell optiplex gx 260 and about the boot manager button is F12 thank you,
hobby_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 04:44 AM   #10
Fully Optimized
 
joedaman633's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: England, Birmingham
Posts: 1,812
Default Re: MNGBOOT missing

Sorted the problem?

__________________

joedaman633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0